We're winning with NAFTA'

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Having pondered the article and having read threads all over the place of "woe unto you" PM, transit, sprinter buyer.
I feel that NAFTA is the problem. Parts coming from everywhere. Quality indeterminate. Even assembled hither, thither & yon.
Almost seems a wonder they work at all.

Thus the "Microsoft mentality"; we can't get it right but get it out there. We'll fix it on the fly.
Or in older vernacular instead of setting the standard for excellence, just doing enough to get by.

Pointless to cite examples other than to say who ever heard of a Ford axle that wasn't forge tough? Or a Chrysler cam rubbing the lobes off like a pencil eraser? It's an every day thing now......... Gee thanks NAFTA!!!

(we know it ain't just NAFTA, it's an infectious malaise, the real STD of our times).
The new normal, mediocre in all things. Sigh!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I disagree with part of your thoughts.... as NAFTA only covers parts made here in NA.... not Africa , Egypt or Turkey or Asia

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Hhhhmmm true OVM.
I pondered it in the vein of lesser quality vs to many different locations assemblies moving to.

Whose to say about their stuff?
(Outside NA)

Honestly I noticed no responses an read the article an thought to stir the pot a bit.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hhhhmmm true OVM.
I pondered it in the vein of lesser quality vs to many different locations assemblies moving to.

Whose to say about their stuff?
(Outside NA)

Honestly I noticed no responses an read the article an thought to stir the pot a bit.
There are select topics in here that get ignored .. on purpose or accident? Dunno?
Why do you think wages are expected to go up? Because of such a great economy? Or because at a 4.2 unemployment rate companies have to now compete for employees to keep running? Supply and demand premise?
Food for thought?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
OVM, in the old world - yes. But ever since the 2008 bust companies have learned that they can do more with less. Especially large companies, but, medium size too. If an employee says he can get more $$ elsewhere it is likely that the company will say bye and look for a replacement while existing employees carry the load.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I went to college late (44-47 yrs old).
One of the saddest things I learned was in economics. While I (among others) have always sensed this it sorta hurt to see it in graph form.

I.E. from 1970 to then current (2000)
While world figures went up (some down) U.S. wages were straight "flat lined" (slightly down).

Minimum wage in 1970 was 1.45, factored only for inflation for 2016 minimum wage should be 9.34
(I made a spreadsheet).

A bag of Fritos corn chips in 1970 was 0.29¢ that which currently sells at 2.99 (or more) should cost 1.87.

I use 1970 cause that's when I got my first job.

Glean what you will from this. I have

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went to college late (44-47 yrs old).
One of the saddest things I learned was in economics. While I (among others) have always sensed this it sorta hurt to see it in graph form.

I.E. from 1970 to then current (2000)
While world figures went up (some down) U.S. wages were straight "flat lined" (slightly down).

Minimum wage in 1970 was 1.45, factored only for inflation for 2016 minimum wage should be 9.34
(I made a spreadsheet).

A bag of Fritos corn chips in 1970 was 0.29¢ that which currently sells at 2.99 (or more) should cost 1.87.

I use 1970 cause that's when I got my first job.

Glean what you will from this. I have

Minimum wage in Ont Canada $14.00 as of Jan 1

Breakfast burrito there $2.99..here $1.00
hashbrown...1.59 there, a $1.00 here

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, in the old world - yes. But ever since the 2008 bust companies have learned that they can do more with less. Especially large companies, but, medium size too. If an employee says he can get more $$ elsewhere it is likely that the company will say bye and look for a replacement while existing employees carry the load.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
you can see my point better out here....In ND where unemployment is 2.4% is way low...even MacD's is paying 10-11$ to start....BUT you won't find the value meal on the menu at $1.00....Minimum wage is $7.25....
so the low unemployment number will effect the inflation rate...
Corporations will make the necessary adjustments and we will pay...

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Quite valid OVM. But a fair trade off.
(No value prices) personally I could live with that.

As you mentioned earlier, I think my transit has to many turkey parts.
(yes I'm alluding to poor quality)
Damn shame too I use to be quite fond of Turkey. Ottoman empire & all that.
But i Like the Kurds too