Weight limits

fuzzyman

Seasoned Expediter
I am wonder what the weight limits for a d unit is to be legal in all states. From what I can find on the internet I think it is 32,000 lbs, 20,000 lbs on the drive axle and 12,000 lbs on the steerining axle. When I checked on a base plate the rating was 33,000 lbs. The salesman tells me that it is a 33,000 lbs gvw truck. He said I can put 21,000 on the drives and 12,000 on the steering. I can't find anything on the fmcsa website to tell me I can only find info on indiviual states. Could someone clear this up for me.

Thanks

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am wonder what the weight limits for a d unit is to be legal in all states. From what I can find on the internet I think it is 32,000 lbs, 20,000 lbs on the drive axle and 12,000 lbs on the steerining axle. When I checked on a base plate the rating was 33,000 lbs. The salesman tells me that it is a 33,000 lbs gvw truck. He said I can put 21,000 on the drives and 12,000 on the steering. I can't find anything on the fmcsa website to tell me I can only find info on indiviual states. Could someone clear this up for me. Thanks

First note that weight limits for any kind of truck vary within states, depending on the road you are on. In my home state of Minnesota, for example, the road at the end of our driveway has an axle weight limit of nine tons (18,000 lbs per axle), but in the spring thaw, it is reduced to seven tons (14,000 lbs per axle). Bridge weight limits change as bridge conditions change. On city streets, your truck will be legal on some streets and illegal on others.

For guidance, the front pages of the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas (available at most truck stops) can be very informative. Study the North American Federal Weight and Size Limits, and the Bridge Formula Table. These numbers apply in general to roadways that are part of the national network, though states and local jurisdictions can set their own rules.

They are not straight trucks, but there are some big-rigs out there that run legal on a 20,000 lbs. front axle. Our straight truck axle and tires are legal for 14,600 lbs. 20,000 lbs. front axles can be seen on some straight trucks, usually dump trucks and cement mixers that are made to haul a lot of weight.

If we were running a single rear axle, the legal limit would be 20,000 lbs. Running tandems close together as we do, the limit is 17,000 on each, for a total rear-axle weight of 34,000 lbs.

Thus, with 34,000 lbs. capacity in the rear and 14,600 in the front, we can legally drive on most highways at 48,600 lbs. With the truck weighing about 34,000 lbs. with no freight on board (all equipment on board, all tanks full), that leaves us with a theoretical payload of 14,600 lbs.

I say theoretical because the number assumes equal distribution of weight, which in the real world does not generally happen. Freight comes in different shapes and sizes and it is not always possible to equally distribute its weight.

Back to the Minnesota road; are we legal to run our 14,600 lbs. front axle when the axle-weight limit is reduced to 14,000 lbs.? Yes we are. The limit refers to the weight actually transmitted to the ground, and not the weight rating. But that way of determining front axle weight is not the way in all states.

This is a complex subject because a host of jurisdictions make the rules (feds, states, counties, cities, turnpike authorities, port authorities, and more). For every rule, there are several others that may or may not agree.

Our approach was to spec for the national network. We have tandem drive axles, not for the increased payload they provide, but because we wanted the smooth ride they provide. We went with the 14,600 lbs. front axle to make sure we would be legal with our large sleeper, and to have a robust front end that will hold it's alignment and provide an extra measure of safety.

Even when fully loaded, we have never come close to putting 14,600 lbs of weight on the front axle. Loaded or empty, 12,000 lbs is closer to the norm. In fact, when loaded, the front end is generally lighter because of the teeter-totter effect. The rear axles act as a pivot point and the weight in the rear tends to raise weight off the front.

Truck payloads widely vary depending on things like manufacturer's GVWR of each axle, placement of the axles and the number of axles. If you are spec'ing a new truck you have full control over such things. If you are buying a new or used truck off the lot, I would take it to a scale first, to determine what the actual truck weight is and how much of it is on each axle. With that information in hand (on the scale ticket you will receive), you can better estimate how your truck will scale out when loaded.

You are asking very good questions at the right time ... meaning before you buy the truck. There is at least one horror story out there (and true) of a truck that was configured wrong by the dealer but sold in bad faith to an unspecting customers who later learned that the front end was overweight.

Last edited:

fuzzyman

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your help. I understand that different roads have different weight limits. I've got 15 years tractor trailer experience. But I am new to the straight truck business. So as a general rule the maximum on a tractor trailer is 80,000lbs 12,000 steering and 34,000 on the drives and 34,000 on the trailer which ads up to the 80,000. What I am having trouble with is they tell me this is a 33,000lb gvw truck and I am getting a 33,000 lb base plate. But, 20,000 on the single drive axle and 12,000 on the steering only ad up to 32,000. Where does the other 1000 lbs come in. The salesman say 21,000 on the drives, but everything that I have found so far says 20,000 on the drives. I wouldn't think that I could put 13,000 on the steering since I could only put 12,000 on the t/t that I drove. With that info how would I gross 33,000 lbs.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Be very careful with that 32,000 lb. gross . Could you perfectly distribute 32,000 lbs. so you had 12,000 on the front axle and 20,000 on the rear ? IL has zero tolerance for overweight . I passed an IL scale once and heard talk on the CB that an expediter at that scale would pay anybody that had a pallet jack $100 if he could use it for 5 minutes . He was 200 lbs. over on his rear axle and couldn't leave until he was legal . Put your truck on a scale empty when it is full of fuel and with all equipment on so you know what you can truly carry .

fuzzyman

Seasoned Expediter
Be very careful with that 32,000 lb. gross . Could you perfectly distribute 32,000 lbs. so you had 12,000 on the front axle and 20,000 on the rear ? IL has zero tolerance for overweight . I passed an IL scale once and heard talk on the CB that an expediter at that scale would pay anybody that had a pallet jack $100 if he could use it for 5 minutes . He was 200 lbs. over on his rear axle and couldn't leave until he was legal . Put your truck on a scale empty when it is full of fuel and with all equipment on so you know what you can truly carry .

I understand all of that. That is why I am asking the question, so I can know how much I am allowed on each axle. I am thinking it is a 32,000 lb vehicle, you are thinking it is a 32,000 lb vehicle, but the salesman is telling me it is a 33,000 lb vehicle and Landstar wanting to know if I need a 26,000 lb plate or a 33,000 lb plate. I am trying to fiqure out if it is a 33,000 lb vehicle then which axle would I be allowed to put the extra 1,000 lbs on or if it is a 32,000 lb vehicle then why would they have a 33,000 lb base plate.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand all of that. That is why I am asking the question, so I can know how much I am allowed on each axle. I am thinking it is a 32,000 lb vehicle, you are thinking it is a 32,000 lb vehicle, but the salesman is telling me it is a 33,000 lb vehicle and Landstar wanting to know if I need a 26,000 lb plate or a 33,000 lb plate. I am trying to fiqure out if it is a 33,000 lb vehicle then which axle would I be allowed to put the extra 1,000 lbs on or if it is a 32,000 lb vehicle then why would they have a 33,000 lb base plate.

Fuzzyman,
Here is the deal.

I have a 32,000 lb GVW truck. The front axle limit is 12,000 lbs. The rear axle limit is 21,000 lbs. I can safely take 9500 lbs of payload because of the added weight of the reefer unit and box.

I have register it as a 32,000 lb truck, I can not register it as a 26,000 lb truck and can't as a 33,000 lb truck - the state said clearly that I have to go by the sum of the axle limits only. To be exact if I have a 33,000 lb GVW, I would pay extra for that privilege and I don't want to do that.

As for your worry about the states, don't worry about it. My truck goes everywhere, and I have had some pretty heavy loads in it for it's size and still came in under my axle limits.

Ask the salesman or if you can see for yourself what the axle limits are on that sticker on the door pillar. Then use that, do not trust the sales man on this issue, he will not be paying the fines.

fuzzyman

Seasoned Expediter
Fuzzyman,
Here is the deal.

I have a 32,000 lb GVW truck. The front axle limit is 12,000 lbs. The rear axle limit is 21,000 lbs. I can safely take 9500 lbs of payload because of the added weight of the reefer unit and box.

I have register it as a 32,000 lb truck, I can not register it as a 26,000 lb truck and can't as a 33,000 lb truck - the state said clearly that I have to go by the sum of the axle limits only. To be exact if I have a 33,000 lb GVW, I would pay extra for that privilege and I don't want to do that.

As for your worry about the states, don't worry about it. My truck goes everywhere, and I have had some pretty heavy loads in it for it's size and still came in under my axle limits.

Ask the salesman or if you can see for yourself what the axle limits are on that sticker on the door pillar. Then use that, do not trust the sales man on this issue, he will not be paying the fines.

If you can haul 12,000 on your steering and 21,000 on your drives wouldn't that make the sum of your axles 33,000. 12,000 + 21,000 = 33,000. So why can't you register it at 33,000. You say I can have 21,000 on my drives the guy above says 20,000, the salesman says 21,000, other things I have looked at says 20,000. That is why I am confused. I would like to know if it is 20,000 or 21,000. That way I will know if I am legal when I weigh the load. Thanks.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could register the truck for whatever you want, but you could only haul what your axles allow you to haul. If you are being offered the choice of 26 or 33, take the 33. When I registered in Mich, they asked if I wanted 32 or 36. Some might choose 36 in the hopes of occasionally loading to the 33 max. I went with 32 because that is the practical maximum to go with. I may sometimes be somewhere that I could go 21 on my drive, but how often? And, most of the time you'll be crossing state lines, meaning that 32 is the practical maximum.

You mention Landstar asking about what you'll register the truck for. Are they going to get the plate for you? You may want to think hard about that. If you do it yourself, it's yours to keep, end of story. If you leave Landstar, you have to return the plate to them, giving you another item to take care of in the event of switching companies. I would never have the company get my plate for me.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
D*mn, I got to look at my posts after I post them. I get distracted by these load offers up in snake land.

I should have corrected the thing, but hey, Highway is right but they didn't offer me anything but the 32k plate.

AND

I can haul up to my GVW, the plate is for taxes - right Highway?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Taxes? (Highway Star chuckles...) Wouldn't this be a "user fee"?

The way I understand it, I could register my truck for 80k if I wanted to. They'd be more than willing to take my money. But I'd still be bound to the GVW and axle limitations of my truck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Taxes? (Highway Star chuckles...) Wouldn't this be a "user fee"?

The way I understand it, I could register my truck for 80k if I wanted to. They'd be more than willing to take my money. But I'd still be bound to the GVW and axle limitations of my truck.

Highway, I was on the phone with Michigan for a while today, being audited again (thanks FedEx) and I asked about this. She said they go by the GVW to set the amount of 'fees' per mile. and then explained more than I wanted to know.

The point is I could get that 80k plate but according to the state, I will be paying a lot more per mile in each state than if I have had a 32k plate. She said I could not get a 26k plate because my GVW was over 30k. I didn't argue with her because I am hoping I will get my tabs after this mess.

As far as the DOT cares, the states want to see their name on that registration and that you are not over that amount on the door pillar.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Highway, I was on the phone with Michigan for a while today, being audited again (thanks FedEx) and I asked about this. She said they go by the GVW to set the amount of 'fees' per mile. and then explained more than I wanted to know.

Ive been with fecc for a long time,ive never ever had an audit by any state.Greg why are you being audited again