Weight capacity of 2000 FL60

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
Hi Forum,

Can anybody tell me how much weight I can put on a 2000 Freightliner FL60. This straight truck is a 24' box truck with a single axle. This is a rental truck and I don't want to overload it. The rental company people didn't have an accurate answer.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jeff

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
That's pretty easy. Weigh it, with you, all your stuff, and a full load of fuel on board (minus the load). Subtract that from the GVWR found on the truck data plate. That'll be pretty close.

Loose

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
Thanks Loose...

but I don't have the truck available right now (tonight), nor can I get it to a scale, and I still need to know the capacity (tonight).
Just a ballpark figure would be good. I would make sure not to go anywhere near that figure so I don't overload the truck. Is it 5,000#? 8,000#? 12,500#?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Call Freightliner. I am guessing 12500. But call Freightliner. The truck most likely goes about 17000 empty and you should be 30000 to 33000 GVW. Just my thoughts

Raceman
OTR O/O

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FL60 are usualy under 26,000 GVWR. Front axle is probaly 8,000lbs,rear is probaly 17,5000

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
Thanks everybody.

I ended up calling Freightliner and getting a crash course in Straight Truck 101.
All trucks are different- some have heavy or light boxes, lift gates, etc.
So the customer service guy said just what Loose said. Take the GVWR (which is 25,500) and subtract the scale weight of the truck as it is (before being loaded) = load / cargo capacity. The chassis is guaranteed to handle a total of 25,500#.

I was trying to quote a job without having the truck available to weigh, and I wanted to make sure I had enough truck before I committed to it.

Thanks again.

Jeff