We need CB radio help...Please!

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
My hubby installed his Cobra 29 in a 2000? FL70 and we noticed that we could only hear other drivers if they were within a mile from us. The SWR meter was pushing close to the red. He figured that maybe it was the attenas...so we replaced them. It didn't help. He thought maybe it was the attena mounting brackets so we replaced them. It didn't help. Our Cobra 29 is a little on the old side so we gave up and went in to the Flying J and purchased the most expensive Texas Ranger they had (I wasn't too happy). So we hook it up...and guess what!?! SAME PROBLEM!?! We have it hooked up to a power and ground that is on the dash. The SWR meter is close to the red and we can hear other drivers if they are right up on us...as soon as they get a mile or so away it turns to static?! Please Help?

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
take the new cb back if you can and take the 29 to a cb shop have it peaked and tuned. then have them tune you ant. and check the ground. they had to pull about two feet of wire out of mine ran about 60. or so total, and you need 18 feet of cable less will up the swr but first check your inverter turn on it and the cb then turn off the inverter when I turn off mine the rf's go up. did all that and did not help at all. went out and bought a 70. ant. and new cable had it put on and checked out the guy said good to go and turn off the inverter it kills the rf (if you need a big dog ant.i know where you can get one)
http://bestsmileys.com/cats2/2.gif[/img]

WWW.Packing.org
ooida#811397

greg334

Veteran Expediter
maybe driving is close to being right.

I would first before anything else, replace the coax cable from the antenna to the radio. Do not get cheap coax at the truck stop, but a quality coax from a shop. Do not be talked into anyhting else until you replace the coax. It actually degrades with time and the changes in tempature to the point that it is unusable.

Do it before you return the new radio and if it improves with the new radio, than try it with the older radio. Make sure that when they tune the antenna, they use the proper equipement, not some cheap RS SWR meter.

Remember that radio's don't wear out but will detune through the life in the truck.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your coax, as mentioned, is a key element that needs to be checked. If it's original to the truck is 99.44% guaranteed to be mediocre at best. As mentioned, be sure you get top quality coax of the correct length as that makes a big difference. Also be sure you have a good ground to the radio.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I'm so proud! All these comments, and not one rambling disertation about the latest 'gadget' for CB's! There are so many CB theories out there, it cracks me up!

It has already been said many times... good radio, good antenna, the only things left are good coax, and good ground.

If the coax is good, you might check to make sure the doors are grounded. I have seen some trucks where the doors did not ground well thru the hinges. The only solution was to run a ground wire, or braid from the door to the door jam.

However, from what you've described, I'm willing to bet it's your coax. As was stated, for some reason truck builders tend to put the cheapest coax they can get. Get a good quality, low loss coax such as Beldon, etc. If grounding is still aproblem, Wilson makes a line of good NO ground antennas for just such an occasion.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Dreamer.

I just wanted to add this about Coax, unless someone has a time domain reflectometers or a very very good antenna anylizer, the best way to test out coax is to replace it.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure if the FL70 has a fiberglass cab, but my M2 does and it makes getting a good ground a big issue. If you are considering going to a shop, I would highly recommend the Movin' On CB shop in Anna, Oh. Exit 99 on I75. They know their stuff and will take the time to do it right.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all the feedback! We are switching trucks in about a week so we are going to hold off on taking it to a CB shop until we see how it works in the next truck. We did replace the coax cable and still arn't having much luck but my Hubby did notice a MESS of wires hooked up to our battery. Don't know if that makes a difference but we're pretty sure that its probably a ground issue. Thanks again for all the help and we will keep you posted.

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
Oh My Goodness!!! It WAS the inverter!! Thanks for that advice...we would of never of thought to check it...but I shut it off and now the CB works great! Kinda a bitter sweet victory though...we kinda NEED the inverter...LOL!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Glad it was something so simple! You can filter that noise out with an RF filter, availible at most CB shops, or on Ebay. They filter out alternator noise, etc, and should work for the inverter too!

Here's one example. This one is built right into the correct power cord for a Cobra, Uniden, Galaxy, etc.. so it's 'plug and play'.

http://tinyurl.com/2wankb fixed to fit window width, LDB

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks Leo! I keep forgetting about tinyurl!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

- Ziggy