Water + Laptop = Death

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
The other day at a meeting I splashed - my laptop keyboard with a little bit of water. Emphasis on splash. I didn't spill water, just a splash.

I quickly turned it over and shut it off. Just to play it on the safe side - I did the whole bag of rice trick, waited a day - and tried to turn it off. It didn't come on.
Had it looked at the Genius Bar and they confirmed my suspicion - it's gone.

So I had to pick up a new machine. Fortunately, I had a Time Machine back-up and I was back in action in a day.

A small splash will take a laptop down. You've been warned. :p

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a dell that is unstoppable. I got dripped on from a leak in my straight truck while sleeping.water litterally ran out of it when I turned it sideways.I shook it and got as much water out of it than played it on its side in front of a space heater for a day.to this day it still works..I got lucky. It is since retired as it is from 2001 and has a floppy disc insert in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
My Dell laptop was frequently splashed by beer. It was fond of IPAs. It's downfall was overuse. Wore through the finish on the touchpad and broke the ribbon cable to the monitor from several years of opening and closing. Oh, maybe the drop down the stairs was what did it in. :)

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
Computers and coffee don't play well together either. I guess I was hoping the coffee would make it work faster!:D

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Sorry for your loss Lawrence. For me change is hard to get use to. :D

My HP holding up well to 1 hot coffee,,1 basket of wet soggy coffee grounds and 2 Mnt dews so far. Real surprised the soda didnt get it, it received nearly 2 full 1 liter bottles. In all 3 cases never shut it down, Just tilted and let drain and drip dry.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry for your loss.

I run Lenovo "ThinkPad's" exclusively, they have drain holes just for this, although the nail polish might be the end of the keyboard, LOL. User can easily replace the keyboards on these though in just a few minutes. These are more of a business line rather than consumer line and have many "rugged" features.

TS

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, maybe the drop down the stairs was what did it in. :)

55420034_man_falls_down_stairs_xlarge.jpeg

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One reason I love the Chrome book. When it gets the water treatment, you are only out $250.00. Get a new one and you are back in business because all your stuff is stored on the cloud.