W/g qualification?

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone give me any insight into getting w/g qualified pertaining to background check thanks
Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If they hire you, I wouldn't think there'd be anything to keep you out of WG.

WG is special handling. Pad wrapping. Inside delivery, liftgate.

DOD background check is a whole different animal.
The main thing is to be truthful. Any errors will be found.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Well I just got reaqualified and was asking about the white glove but the lady I talked to said I should talk to owner operators she wasn't sure about misdermeanors

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you get in a WG Qualified truck the owner will go to bat for you.
It'd be in his best interest.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Than looks like I better get my hazmat first saw some adds on classifieds

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Definitely. It takes a few weeks. Very helpful at times. You'll get fingerprinted and be back ground checked, again.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
What kinda things does one need to do to have a qualified wg vehicle? Like a van since I already got it lol

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Don't know that a van can be WG.
Str8's and TT need liftgate, moving pads, extra bars and straps,pallet jack, tri-pod hand truck, and furniture dolly.

You get to do labor intensive loads, inside specialized deliveries, and more.

I was on one recently that had three extra drivers, to assist with the labor involved. One, actually the strongest guy, was in a CV. Kind of like a van line crew.

It does open up doors to more specialized stuff.
And gives one more, better paying load offers.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I don't have any experience and I've only been driving well expediting for going 6 months now so I don't think I'd make the cut

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Well i only have 2 weeks experience just got reaqualified with fecc trying to get back ouy was considering wg wasnt sure if I could qualify for it

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Have been thinking of maybe just starting in a cargo van so I can learn expediting then maybe move up into a str8 truck

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I don't have any experience and I've only been driving well expediting for going 6 months now so I don't think I'd make the cut

My new co driver has been on the truck for one month, he is going to WG class next week. It really isn't as prestigious as some make it out to be. Higher paying loads with higher expectations of securement, appearance, and professionalism.

It's really just common sense.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
My new co driver has been on the truck for one month, he is going to WG class next week. It really isn't as prestigious as some make it out to be. Higher paying loads with higher expectations of securement, appearance, and professionalism.

It's really just common sense.

I don't have my CDL which I have been meaning to get because I hope to move up to a straight truck someday. I don't even know where to go to training at or how much it costs

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Don't drive anymore, but I loved the DOD loads. Being ex military and seeing / meeting soldiers was great. Good luck to you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks! Im hoping to get on a wg truck soon got some stuff to take care at home first. Then theres the task of finding a owner that will take me on wit b out experience. Looking forward to getting started in a successful career in expediting:)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
KS6, WG is a marketing term used by FedEx. And maybe some others. White Glove treatment of your valuable items.
Another carrier may call it something else. Just special protocols,carrier specific, no one place to get training.

If my Father held a WG class it'd be 2 minutes long.
1) look good and be very professional to the customer.
2) handle and secure the stuff like it's yours.
3) get back to work. Class dismissed.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
KS6, WG is a marketing term used by FedEx. And maybe some others. White Glove treatment of your valuable items.
Another carrier may call it something else. Just special protocols,carrier specific, no one place to get training.

If my Father held a WG class it'd be 2 minutes long.
1) look good and be very professional to the customer.
2) handle and secure the stuff like it's yours.
3) get back to work. Class dismissed.

Don't forget,if it glows in the dark or if it blows up,take extra,extra care.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I do a lot of Radioactive. Very safe because of packaging and training of those that work with it.,