Volvo vnm vs vnl

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Hello anyone that knows about Volvo trucks. I am looking into buying a new straight truck and Volvo is a brand I'm strongly considering. I'm looking at doing a day cab with an ari or ict sleeper on it. My question is what's the big difference between a vnm and a vnl from Volvo beyond the hood length? Either way I will do a d13 with i-shift. I would like to put a 96" sleeper on it and with the vnm I can do it plus a 22' box and be under 40' oal. Is there a downside to this I'm not seeing? Any feedback will be appreciated.

I'm also looking at cascadia's and western star 4800's.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Great question for a dealer.
I think the VNM will only allow you the less stylish hood. More of a vocational look.
They have been doing changes so who knows.
I would think the engine would bump back into the cab. I wouldn't think this would be noticeable with the shape of the dash.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Here's the Chassis I pm'd you about.
I can't put pics into a pm. :(ImageUploadedByEO Forums1393655452.374742.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1393655472.076980.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1393655510.591019.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1393655547.435881.jpg

The battery slide out is a cool dealer installed option to prep for motorhome set-up. ( I just looked at pic of batteries and noticed air hose hookup at lower front corner. Smart/cool dealership.)

At Stykemain Volvo, Defiance Oh

Last edited:

walemurphsprin

Rookie Expediter
I would go with the long nose VNL. the short nose trucks can get very cramped under the hood. dosent look like it but the few extra inches makes working on the engine much easier