Volvo large truck engines ?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Are the volvo engines good ? or do they have issues like the benz with EGR and low power and so forth? Just looking around at tractors to pull a tanker I have and saw the volvos with the volvo engine are very low priced compared to the volvos with the isx engine in them. I am going to avoid benz engines I don't want the egr headaches.

Thanks

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't know what you mean by a Bentz engine. Having a Volvo D-12 in our truck, I can tell you that it has EGR issues. I'm told that Cummins engines have similar issues. Still others tell me that that, industry-wide, all engines of this vintage have EGR issues. I don't now how true that is. I do know that the Volvo D-12 has EGR issues.

Our D-12 has plenty of power and I am generally satisfied with it. The EGR thing was a disappointment that will add a penny per mile in additional operating costs going forward because the EGR valves will have to be replaced far more often than expected when the engine was first built.

The D-12 is now a discontinued engine, replaced by the D-13. Mechanics tell me the D-13 does not have the EGR issues the D-12 has. They would know by now since the D-13 has been on the road long enough.

Regarding the price of used Volvo engines, it matters which engine you are talking about. The D-16, now discontinued, was a disaster release for Volvo and major mistake. If you see one of those for sale, you would be money ahead to pay the sales person $1,000 to keep it. That engine has many people inside and outside the company shaking their heads and wondering how Volvo went so far off the reservation by putting a piece of junk like that on the market. They sell cheap in the used truck market for good reason, and that is a good reason for you to avoid it.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He said benz, as in Mercedes- Benz, not Bentz.

I have the small Mercedes and have had no valve issues. It did have the EGR cooler replaced when it was still under warranty. I believe the fact that I don't idle is a big part of the good luck I've had. (Highway Star knocks on wood.) The truck has 436k miles.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I didn't even know about fires lol. All I know is that I am so happy for this forum you all answered why the volvo 12 is cheaper. I may just say the heck with it and just get a plain jane series 60 in the 450 to 500hp range. Gonna use the truck to haul mollasis here in the midwest my friend had the contract but he is going to stop running state to state and just run intermodal from peoria to chicago he wants to be home always now he just had a baby so I can't blame him. Heck I hauled that headache loads for a long time before he did so why not pays great and steady work and home 3 days a week. But I need a tractor

I did look at some c15 cats but the single turbo model they also have some headaches. thats why I am leaning to the series 60 they are pretty much a proven engine and or a n14 they are also pretty good engines. If I can get a lower well maintained mileage n14 that is.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
LMAO he climbed back into the burning truck to save his cb and linear LOL that is too funny !!!

Can't speak for the Volvo Engines, but here are some links about the fire hazards to be aware of on some MBE;

TruckNet® Drivers RoundTable • View topic - Anyone Else Have FL Columbia/Mercedes MBE 4000 Engine Fire?

Re: Killer Trucks

Some MBE had been recalled for the injector lines but we were told ours wasn't, yet they expanded, loosened and we was advised not to re-tighten but to replace the lines.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Since age of the tractor does not appear to be an issue with a carrier, I would suggest you get whatever make/style of tractor that you like with a 12.7 ltr detroit series 60 rated at 470 hp.A good reliable and economical engine. Parts and service available about everywhere. will admit that the single Turbo 3406 cats were good but will not deliver the fuel economy of the Detroits or the N14's Pre 2002 engines do not have EGR equipment
Didn,t know that Volvo quit making the D16 never heard too much good about it

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I am looking in the 2003 range trucks my mechanic said most of those have no egr yet. He also said I should get a cat c15 single turbo he owns 60 trucks with c15 and he loves them. Plus he can get me great deals on parts. I am listening to him but I also like the n14 and s60 they get awesome mpg. But I am not rushing into a truck I have a 90 open loan to purchase plus a fat down payment so I can shop as I travel.

No sense in getting someones can of worms .

I could pay cash for the truck but Want working capital never know what can happen out there on the road. So I am financing 50% to 60% of truck

Last edited:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
According to Kevin at ATBS, his favorite engine for reliability, ease of repairs and cheap parts is the series 60. He claims he has run c15s and the cos of parts will kill you.

He's a pretty straight shooter and he backs his calls with data. He also agrees with buying pre-EGR engines while you still can.

So that's for the "For what its worth dept"

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App