Van inspections

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where do you van guys get your inspections? I don't want to spend a fortune on a big truck inspection for my van if there is a less expensive alternative.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Where do you van guys get your inspections? I don't want to spend a fortune on a big truck inspection for my van if there is a less expensive alternative.

I have mine done at a local truck shop here in Atlanta. $40
I tried once at a Petro truck stop and they wanted too much. Once I did it at a T/A, it was more than $40, but still reasonable if I remember correctly.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I use T/A exclusiviely, specifically the one near Washington Court House, OH.. I71 exit 65.. simply because it's on the way home, and they charge $39 :)

Dale

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you read the form carefully you will not your local mechanic may be qualified to conduct the inspection if he has the experience training etc. as required.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I know potentially any mechanic could possibly be acceptable but the issue is I don't want to pay $62 for it and that's what every place I've called around here is charging. When I was getting the straight truck inspected at T/A they were charging $39-42 depending on which location. The local T/A also charges $62 though. I'll just get it done away from Houston.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, I know potentially any mechanic could possibly be acceptable but the issue is I don't want to pay $62 for it and that's what every place I've called around here is charging. When I was getting the straight truck inspected at T/A they were charging $39-42 depending on which location. The local T/A also charges $62 though. I'll just get it done away from Houston.
My last van inspection, was in March at the 145 truck stop on I94 at MM 145 and I think it was 35 dollars. In and out in 15 min.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My last van inspection, was in March at the 145 truck stop on I94 at MM 145 and I think it was 35 dollars. In and out in 15 min.

In 15 minutes you did not get an inspection....you got a signature and a piece of paper.

If everything applicable to vans is checked properly on the FedEx sheet, it takes a minimum of 30 minutes, the vehicle needs to be jacked up or put on a hoist. As a licensed mechanic, when I do the inspection on my own van...properly...it takes me almost an hour.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My van has 13k miles and I'm 99.93% certain has no troubles so at this point I want a signature.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And at 13 k miles mistakes at the assembly plant may just be starting to rear their ugly head.

If I tell FedEx it's safe, I want to know it truly is. I do the inspections my self AND then take it someplace (FedEx will not let me sign my own safeties). An extra $60 a year on inspections (the $65 vs $35 scenario) seems worth it to me, even if...you will spend that extra $60 on buttermilk pie (I really wish you hadn't introduced me to that Leo!!)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
had my other van inspected at the t-a on russel rd at wisc/il border. 25 bucks and 30 min. the inspector went under over and thru the van.