Vacation and time off

JoePetro

Expert Expediter
Can a H/W team (with no home) working for an O/O take a total of about 90 days off ( two weeks here and there ) a year in the Expediting business ? In a perfect world for us the time off would be the last two weeks of July, the last two weeks of March, and maybe a three to four week stretch at some other time in the year.
Actual dates could vary to coincide with slow freight times. We are mid fifties and looking into Expediting as our next career. We are in the process of selling our business of twenty five years and would like to continue working but in a job that would allow us to travel (other than on the road).

Thanks

JOE-PETRO IMIUBU
'it's a bad day when you don't learn something new.'

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thats something you would have to work out with the owner.I know of one owner who wanted me to drive for them after my truck lease expired and he said,taking time off was no problem for him, as he would take the truck out ,if I wanted time off.

JoePetro

Expert Expediter
I guess I'm trying to get a feel for how the industry takes "time off". I'm sure there are those that work 48+ weeks a year or more. I hope that I do not have to as I have already been there and done that. I think I'll ask the question again in another forum to get responses from the rank and file on how they handle vacation time.

Thanks for your impute.

JOE-PETRO IMIUBU
'it's a bad day when you don't learn something new.'

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Joe - The amount of time that you take off is strictly going be negotiated between your prospective owners and yourself. If you are hard runners, I'm sure an owner would do whatever it may take to keep you happy. Good solid teams are always in high demand, and treated well.

Now for part 2 of the question.... Even in traditional "slow" times in expediting there is always freight available. There may be not as much freight available, but the world doesn't come to a screeching halt. One of the keys to the success that I had in this business was to make myself available when other trucks and drivers were not. Some of my best months have been in several July's. When there is a shortage of trucks there can appear to be an abundance of freight. The ratio is a relative proportion. This is a trick that worked for me, and it's just something else to consider. Great question - and Best Wishes - X