Veteran Expediter
Except factory take offs no
I worked for a company that used used tires
If tires are still good why would someone get rid of them

Reactions: Mailer

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks guys for the opinions. Would you kindly elaborate the reasons.

uriykir

Active Expediter
I got used michelin truck tires from a guy who bought them from a junkyard that bought wrecked tractors. 4 tires that were basically mint with 80% tread for 150 a piece. Each tire new is 550

Reactions: Opel2010

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Typically no, but I popped both passenger tires in Lexington and needed to get home and was short on cash so got some used ones. Made it home 3 hours down 64. Came out to my car in the morning and one of them was flat. There was still a nail in it! Got it plugged and they are still holding up.

TDave

Expert Expediter
Personally speaking I always buy new tires. I figure that since that all 4 or more tires touch the ground they help with braking and newer tread always better than an older one or slightly used one (not too mention the lack of warranty). And most used tires I've seen they have about half tread or less and the used ones that I have seen cost about half as much as a new tire.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Used them for 9 years on a route, would take them off when bald or steel belts came thru (not in winter) had only 2 flats. More flats with tread, it picks up nails

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I carried 2 spares at all times :D

This sprinter of mine keeps putting on abs lights with 1 new and one almost used up on axle tho...cant do it anymore

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my opinion if your a van expediter and buying anything less than factory take offs your in the wrong biz. Of course every once in a blue moon a great deal might be found that is the exception.Running tires until bald or belts are showing is a bit crazy and a huge liability if your in an accident where lawyers are called.

Reactions: guido4475 and TDave

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Folks, thank you for your inputs. More opinions are appreciated.

For many good reasons, I too, would recommend the new tires over the used tires. And, under certain circumstances, I personally, would also feel comfortable to purchase the used tires.

IMHO, If you have to get the used tires, you have to know and understand tires. There are plentiful amount of good used tires at a bargain price out there. Just got to shop around a little bit.

A few days ago with no load on board, I had a rear tire blown out. Most likely from an underinflated and slow air leaks. Tried to get air, but the truck stop air compressor was down. It was 20 psi below the recommendation. I figured I can get to the next truck stop without a problem.

Wrong! Lol..

Now the fun part, aside from a blown tire, 2 front tires were partially shaved due to out of the alignments. I need to replace all 3 tires.

After what is said and done, the 3 new tires will cost close to $600.

The next day, after the visit to two used tires shops. I made the purchases after thourough inspections of the tires and felt confident that the tires were safe enough to do the job. Thread were at 95%, 65% and 60% The total cost was $160. All were Firestone Transforce HT.

My take, I chose to buy the used tires this time because of the cost and the right circumstances.

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it blew, there was damage to the belts, 20 psi below would not do it. I have a Michelin that I've patched twice and run lots of miles at 20-40 psi total, which is where I'd feel something going on.

I had 200,000 miles on a set of Transforce HT's, they're good (older models) but at that mileage the sidewalls on one looked like a deflated balloon when I changed them. DO NOT use them on snow, you won't leave the driveway

(If you don't have a tire monitor next time look at Amazon they make generic units that will warn you from the cab, it's on my list next change this winter)

Reactions: Mailer and TDave

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya could be. The replacement tires are holding great so far. Will keep close monitoring. Thanks!