Cargo Van Upfit to Van

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only time I've ever bought a new vehicle, it was a small car and I drove it off the lot. So as someone who is a complete virgin to even the idea of buying a new truck, I have a question:

Is it possible to finance an Espar heater as part of the initial purchase? I know that money is available for upfitting vans (with shelves, etc); I was wondering if anyone had financed an Espar when buying their truck....

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you going to a local bank that you have a history with or are you going to try to get financing thru the dealer???

Local Bank:
My experience is that local banks will let you finance all the upfitting you need as long as you give them a complete list of what each upfit costs and obviously you can afford the payment... They might require an additional down payment to also cover the upfits along with the van.... ie, van costs $40,000 + upfits of $10,000 = $50,000 total with down payment of 20% = $10,000 or 10% down payment = $5,000

Dealer:
My experience with dealers is they will let you finance upfits as long as they are purchased thru the dealer... The dealer sends the van to the upfitter, they pay for the upfit and add the additional costs to the van... The financing will be the same as the bank as in the down payment will have to cover the upfitting... The only difference most likely will be that they will want a larger down payment then the bank that you have a history with, in most cases... I guess it could be the same if you have an excellent credit score and of course can afford the payment...

Reactions: NorthernBill