Update after six month's....and ready to take a leap?

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Hi EO Land-

A big Happy New Year to everyone out there. Looking back on 2013, it has been a year for me, started doing this in June 2013, and looking back at it I have to say Holy S*IT.

48 states later....here we are. Being in my late 20's, I have challenged myself with everything from mechanical issues, to logistic's problems, figuring out routes (weather issues, road closures, etc) being a good negotiator, etc. I have never thought I would have made it this far in Expediting. But here I am, and there are a lot of people here on this site that I truly have to thank for all my success. As being a newbie, I found an owner that was willing to take me as a team under their belt, show us all the ropes, be patient with us during "idiot" moments. If anyone out there is looking for someone to drive for, let me recommend KRJ Inc. Private Message me if you need more details. Not every owner is perfect, and these people aren't either, but they sure know how to run a fleet.

Here's where some of you out there might come in handy. I have a great relationship with Fedex CC, and have actually been thinking about purchasing my own D unit. Lease. Maybe not. Financial considerations aren't really an issue at this point.

I have ran across some road blocks (no pun intended) lately, such as, DOT requirements, staying up with all the paperwork, legalities, etc. Is it really worth the headache and hassle? Cargo Vans/ Sprinter's obviously aren't regulated and subject to DOT...seems a lot easier right?

Let me add that I have my own business here where I live, and its not making me millions, but I am getting by. I just find expediting really interesting and would like to eventually have my own fleet possibly, and manage it from home with my other business. However, that could change in a year or so, but i'd like to take a leap and try it. I don't want to jump head first in and get myself in trouble. That's why I was thinking a van/ sprinter would be good?

I'd end up driving myself or as team for a bit, and then finding someone to hire. If anyone has any input, or can help at all that would be absolutely amazing. I would be forever in debt to you.

For the people off this site that I have met in person along the way at pick up's or drop off's, thank you. You have been wonderful with knowledge and I truly appreciate being able to meet you.

Also, when buying your own unit and getting set up and stuff, how much $$$$ do you need in reserve's to get going? I have a figure in mind, but i'm sure i'm shooting way to high.

Thanks again-

Ryan

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Hiring someone to drive a Van or Sprinter doesn't leave anything for you,you would have to have about ten of them,and a lot of operating capital.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yep. Huge jump from operating a couple of them to making money off of others operating them for you. I think the minimum IS about 9-10. With about a net of 10%, 10 is a good minimum fleet size. Of course 10 means 10 payrolls for 10+ drivers that should NOT have to wait for invoices to be paid. THAT is where the "lots of capital" comes in. Big nut to crack.