Up in the air

sweetpete

Seasoned Expediter
I currently drive a straight truck locally in the Chicagoland area.
I have been tossing around the idea of expediting. I have no expediting experience. Question I have is, Where to start looking to get this experience, and what can I expect out of this industry?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you own a Truck? or Drive a Company Truck? If you Own your Truck does it have a Sleeper? you gonna need that. Then Look at the Smaller Companys They are Less Strict on the OTR Experence needed to get started, Now if you don't own your Truck then Hit up the EO Classifieds and start calling, As what to expect in Expediting. Go Back on the Forums and Read. It can Be very Rewarding if your a Smart Businessman, or you can go Broke very Fast.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Sweetpete, do you have a wife or someone who expects you to be home now and then?? If there is anyone in your life that you don't want to loose you will want to talk it over with them. Being away from home most of the time can be real hard on the best of relationships.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep I agree with you Late, But in my Case I just Notched 23 years of Marriage but in real time it adds up to 7 Years.

sweetpete

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your replies. I am a company driver. No truck at this time, looking at possible ownership in future. Any ideas on who I should contact, ( Companies That Is ). I know that each company has their good and bad. I thought about Diamond Delivery Service, Due to their Primary Lanes and No Canada or NYC.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Best thing to do is Call them all and get their Contractor Packets, Read them, Them call the Ones that Peaked your Interest and talk to the Recruiters.