Unusual noise in the 9200i

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
Hey folks, I'm in a 2002 International 9200i and have a unusual noise problem. The truck has been to the Chattanooga dealer and they were dumbfounded. It is a whining noise in the engine that increases with the RPM's. They ruled out the turbo, alternator, and a/c compressor. Here is what they said on computer printout.
COMPLAINT------check for louder than normal whine in the engine compartment upon acceleration.

CORRECTION-------road test truck, engine has a whine. checked transmission fluid. very little metal in trans. possible gear train noise. removed a/c belt noise subsided. removed alternator belt, no noise. removed alternator, tried new one, was not problem. checked end play--.12 tolerance. noise is inside of front cover of engine.

Well, what do ya all think? They said that it would be a 2-3 day ordeal just to get inside the engine. They told me truck was driveable until I got home. I left with it and will take it to the International dealer at home. Any ideas on this? It seems to me to be loudest on the passenger side of engine where turbo and alternator is, but noise is also heard thro the shifter boot. Thanks in advance.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Does this 9200 have a Cummins engine? I think the techs are thinking there is a lot of end play in the cam (or cams if its a Cummins DOHC), which if it is .12 there is, and you are hearing whine from the cam drive gears. This will involve a slight teardown of the engine to correct, but it has to be fixed. Not an immidiate danger, but it's not a good thing either if the engine is to last.
-Weave-