Unladen liability insurance for cargo vans

Jack

Expert Expediter
Anyone know a source for unladen liability insurance for cargo vans? I've done a search and contacted sources previously suggested, but looks like that area of insurance is getting real hard to find. OOIDA doesn't cover vans, nor does Flying J Transportation insurance. Somebody must provide coverage, or a lot of us are out there with too much exposure. Thanks for any tips. Jack

hacpro

Expert Expediter
Jack;
Try Transportation Insurance at 1-800-584-5100.
Ask to speak to Hilda.
Hope this helps

Jack

Expert Expediter
Thanks, Hacpro, I tried them and they don't provide it either. I wonder how many van owner/drivers don't know they are uncovered for damage to other persons and property when not loaded, and any accident they have is then covered under the insurance of the company they are leased with, but with about $5000 deductible for the driver to pay? Also, that some policies don't provide coverage when under dispatch, only when LOADED and under dispatch. Guess it's time to review the fine print again, and try to figure out definitions and exclusions. Non-trucking, unladen, bob-tail, coverage only on the third thursday of even months.....whatever.

robhtz

Expert Expediter
I've been interested in expediting for a while, but I havn't decided to take the plunge yet. I currently contract with a company doing local deliveries. I have a 2000 1-ton cargo van that I have insured with Auto-Owners Insurance out of Lansing, Michigan.
It is a commercial policy with:
Combined Liability $300,000
Uninsured/Underinsured $300,000
Medical Payments $5000
Comprehensive $250 deductible
Collision $500 deductible
Road Trouble Service
There is no cargo coverage
Total yearly premium is $1,089

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member