Unicell on E-350 chassis

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Anyone on the forum care to offer thoughts/comments on the molded fiberglass bodies mfg. by Unicell. I do know that I haven't seen very many on the road, but the few I have been able to actually grt in &
give a once over have been appealing. I can get one w/12'6" of cargo
space, more floor width & height than the Sprinter, for less money.
Any feedback would be appreciated.:) :)

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi,
The Unicell bodies are quality units. If I were to buy a van with a cargo box I would only buy a Unicell.
The fiberglass body is light and more durable than aluminum. It won't rust like steel. Also owners of Unicells are reporting 15% to 20% savings in fuel costs due to the aerodynamics of the more rounded body of the Unicell in comparison to other box vans.
The only two negatives about the Unicell as opposed to the Sprinter is fuel mileage and gross vehicle weight. You can expect to get between 10 and 12 mpg. with the Unicell. The Sprinter is getting about 22 mph. Also the unicell has a gross vehicle weight of over 10,000 lbs. The sprinter's gross vehicle weight is under 10,000 lbs. With the Unicell you will have to keep log books and in some states go through weigh stations.
On the other hand if you can make more money with the Unicell due to its ability to haul more freight than it might be better for you. Only you can determine that.

Marty

wont

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The web site is www.unicell.com . Just looked around the web site and the aerocell would definately give the sprinter a run for its money. Looks like you could make a descent sleeper and still carry 4 skids. Very tempting to get.
Randy:)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I drove a Unicell body truck locally for a printing plant years back. It held up fine. My only small gripe was when driving empty or with light loads on the highway, the rear of the truck liked to blow around a lot, esp. in the winter due to its light weight. Very decent otherwise, and you can still plywood line it and put up e-track to add some ballast. I never did, but they may be a little more difficult to repair than an aluminum body if you poke a hole in it. My personal favorite aluminum straight truck bodies are Morgan, Babb, and Supreme.
-Weave-

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
boy, those are sweet. i'm liking the rounded one, though. no dually, so it ought to get a little better mileage, plus it's under 10k gvw. i've seen zillions of them in canada and wondered where a guy might get one, and now i know. the internet is a wonderful thing!

Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You have to go through a Ford or GM dealer to purchase the Unicell
bodies, you can't by direct. All I want to see by Jeff Gordon's name
on Monday morning is DNF! Right?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
At the Expo there was a Unicell dealer who knows the expedite industry very well. Here is their information:

Jerome Duncan Ford
440490 Van :censoredsign:
Sterling Heights, MI 48313

Tel - 586.977.6292

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Chevy dealer I bought my van from has a 3500 cutaway with the unicell body on it for $30000.00, you would be better off buying the Sprinter for that kind of money.

FLYNSCOT

Expert Expediter
YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO HOLD MORE PALLETS BUT THE WEIGHT IS ABOUT THE SAME AS THE SPRINTER WE HAVE A GUY THAT JUST CAME ON WITH NATIONS EXPRESS THAT JUST PICKED UP AN E450 WITH THE UNICELL BODY AND HE CAN ONLY TAKE 4,000LBS BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE AND THE ADDITIONAL E-TRAC ETC BUT IT IS A NICE COMBINATION!