Unicell and expediter trucks

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
I noticed a post from Lawrence that Unicell no longer wants to configure for expediter trucks. I've been researching and thought that the 177 inch E450 cutaway with 6.0 diesel and the 17 foot aerocell would be a good combo. I was going to use the front part for a sleeper and put the bulkhead where I would still have a 12 foot box. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading the forum for some time now and really love all the info. This is my first post so hello to all.

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi,

I sell these trucks and while I think that the product is great....
I'm not sure how this would hold up ....

Are you looking at an Aerocell configuration ????
Or just a cutaway with a straight box ????

17' unit with taking the 1st 5' for your sleeping/living quarters ???

I believe if you choose the Aerocell design (i.e. the intergrated cab design) ..you would end up with wheel boxes inside your cargo area ?
Would that limit your carry capacity as far as pallets go ????

I've not seen anything spec'ed as an expeditor unit...I'd be curious to see what you have found....
And, since I sell them ...I'e be happy to quote you as well...

Thanks,

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":)

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll see if we're on the same wavelength with my answers. I am looking at an aerocell configuration with the first five feet as the sleeper area. I saw they had a standup option which opens the front aerodynamic area. As long as I would have four feet between the wheel boxes I should be fine. I have seen pictures where the floor isn't lowered so the floor sits above the wheel boxes (I think). I believe that having the lowered floor exposing the wheel boxes was actually an option. I am concerned about how the box would hold up but the way it shows the framing and all I believe that it would be ok. I was thinking of the E450 instead of the 350 because of weight concerns. I'm trying to figure out how to install a little diesel generator (plus air & heat) and still keep it out of the way. I would like to get the measurements and start working out a plan. I'm not too far from a lot of the RV builders in Indiana or maybe even Bentz or ICT would be an option to see if they could do any custom work on the configuration. I'll be driving solo and with my two dogs I think the sprinter configuration would still be a little too cramped for me. I've driven over the road with Crete Carriers and the 72 inch century sleeper was more than enough room so I thought I could get by with a 60 inch setup. I have some reservations with the 6.0 Ford diesel since it is so new and all. But I guess every now and then you have to roll the dice and hope for the best. I was thinking of ordering a cutaway rather than just grab one off of a lot. They seem to mostly have the high rear end ratioes which probably works well for the city but I would prefer a more economical one for the road. I have seen the 7.3 pull some very heavy stuff and I believe the 6.0 has more HP and more torque so I'm hoping it will prove to be a good setup. I'm not sure if Ford has a computer setup like the big truck dealers where you can put in different ratioes, likely weights, etc. and see how the performance should stack up. Well I've probably drank too much coffee and have written a short novel. I hope this isn't too much. Thanks for getting back to me.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Remember,your truck/van must be under 10,000 GVWR.If you do not want to log and pass most scales.

tazman

Expert Expediter
I think I see what you are doing....

You might try looking at Supreme website www.supremeind.com
Look at the Ford Spartan Body with a Bench seat option...
They can build that without exterior access doors (Strongbox)
The bench seat option gives you a 30" bench seat behind the driver
with you could extend or perhaps modify...
Check that out...

Also I work with Rockport bodys as well...www.forestriverinc.com
They are in Elkhart and can custom build for you as well...
I like these guys a lot....

Unicell has a product that is unique in that it is a fiberglass..
one-piece design......The rigors of moving freight in/out of these bodies may not bode well for your needs.....just an opinion
...However they build a good unit.....

Get you specs together and send them to me...I will have these guys
build/price a unit for you....

P.S. - E-450 are GVW of 14,050
E-350 are GVW of 12,000

All 6.0 Diesels are in very, very short supply...in and you may be better off waiting for a 2005 unit.....

Send me an E-mail and I'll be happy to talk with you further..

Thanks,

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":)

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
If you want to stay under 10,000lbs in a van check the thread on this forum about expeditors dream van. I have it on the road now and the wife and I love it and all the room we have now. Just something for you to consider.

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
I've had a sinking feeling that in order for me to get a sleeper area of a minimum of 5 feet that I'll end up with a vehicle over the 10,000 lb limit. Well so far all of my driving has been with a log book so I guess I'll have to deal with it. I have seen the posts on Dieseldoctors van...very interesting but my pooches will need some more space...The supreme website looked promising so in the not too distant future I'm really going to have to put pen to paper and figure this puppy out. Thanks all for the replies....I really love this sight it is very informative.:D