UD Cabovers

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Years ago we used to see a lot of UD!s and Hino!s doing expediting work.But they seem to have gone by the wayside.I was wondring if anyone has had experience with the UD 3300. A new UD dealership has opened in my area and they sent me a brocheure where UD is giving zero percent financing on new trucks. I called the place up and they confirmed that.
I don!t like dealing with foreign companies but what the hell,Freightliner is owned by Damiler Benz,Mack is owned by Renault/Volvo etc.
My concerns about a cabover are,can you get a sleeper put on that you can get into from the cab. I have seen one of these things years ago and it was a real tight fit.Also the overall ride on a cabover,is it worse then a conventional,I would think so as you sit in front of the front wheels. Will the engine stay cool while climing hills in the desert? Big thing is safety,If you slide off the road into a tree ,I don!t think there is that much protection but on a conventional you could also get crushed by the engine.
I might add that they are giving a unlimited mileage 3 year warranty on the whole vehicle. But another important piece of info,is do they have a large dealer network? This dealer is anxious to do business and they said they would really work with me on a trade in on my FL 70 with 725K on it.LOL Appreciate any responses particularly from Mr Weave. Thanks.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Rich,

I started expediting back in 1993 in a Mitsubishi Cabover(almost the same truck as the UD) with Roberts Express (D1115).. and last drove a 96 FL70. Lemme tell ya, the ride in the FL70 is MUCH better. I think you would regret it within days.....

That cabover beat me to death. The only good thing about that truck was it did turn on a dime, VERY sharp turing radius, but that's about all..LOL.

Also, to get into those sleepers, you had to climb up over the hump, which was at armrest height. I don't know if they've changed that, but I would assume it's still the same on most of the mid-size cabovers like that.

Dreamer

[font color="blue"]Disclaimer: As usual, the previous ramblings were simply the opinions of one grouchy long haired ol fart who spent many many miles at the wheel of that ol cabover, and should not be construed as a compensated endorsement for Freightliner![/font]

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I too started w/Roberts in 1993,but with a UD1800.The NISSAN engine was quiet and reliable.Down side is dealer network for service. At that time only about 20 Dealers for the whole country.This is the main reason we went with an International in 1998.Parts avail was good with overnight svc from a large dist ctr in Dallas.We Were concerned with riding with our noses that close to any accident,and this too influnced our decision to go with a conventail.Another thing to think about is access to the service points.It is a real pain in the butt to lift that cab to add oil etc.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks guys,Bye Bye UD.. I started with Roberts in 1987 had a Mercedes Benz 1117,(D702) then in 1991 bought a Mercedes Benz 1319, (D1564). In my opinion they were great trucks as they were designed for the third world roads etc. The cab was staight out of 1960 but while slow they rode well and gave great service. Every so often I still see one and look back with fond memories of sitting behind that huge steering wheel.

Jammer65

Expert Expediter
I own one with a sleeper .I have access from inside and out ,It's a big cab I find that I've got plenty of room nto move from front to back.I've had it for 6 years, I got to say it's a very dependable truck.The only thing it's cost me besides reg. maint. is an exhaust pipe,speedo cable.Joe

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, there was a phase a while ago where there were a bunch of those Isuzu, UD, and Mitsubishi cabovers doing expediting work. It faded away very quickly. The cabover design by nature is very bumpy and uncomfortable. The trucks were notoriously underpowered, and just didn't seem to hold out as long on the highway as the domestics, and ended up with absolutely no resale value in the end. Great for inner city manuvering, not so great on the highway. Only access to sleeper is usually through the outside or a crawl space. Unless just for one or two day stints, simply not practical for most drivers who spend any more time than that out on the road.
-Weave-

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi,

I currently sell Isuzu trucks....(hoping to get on the road soon)

They are terrific vehicles for local delivery (even a 300+ miles a day)...especially since early next year the smaller N-series will have a new 19,500 GVW unit available with a terrific new engine that puts out 190HP @2600 RPM and over 387 ft/lbs of torque @ 1500 rpm...

With a 14-16 foot box van they just do great..I have a customer that runs Phila to Pittsburgh 3-4 times a week...his truck averages 11-13 miles per gallon at 60-65 mph....loaded !!!

The ride is little bumpy from time ..but they handle very well...

We sell them and really never see them for repairs...I've sold 1 extended contract in over 50 trucks....

Hino and Mack are getting out of the cab forward business and the ISUZU medium line has just started building in Michigan...

Anyway...just throwing in a few cents worth...let's discuss..

Tazman in Pa.