U Live and U Learn

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Do'nt know when the law went into effect, BUT---I found out today that I ca'nt go to Canada in a truck cause I had a DUI 20 some odd yrs. ago(in my car ofcourse) I'm really glad to know that there really are perfect people in the world. (Canadians) They apparently are'nt allowed to make any mistakes

If your past has been forgiven, then today is being taken care , and your future is guaranteed---SO U do;nt have anything to worry about at ALL!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know what it costs but you can apply for a Canadian Pardon and since it happened so long ago it would probably be granted.
I am not a overly religious guy but in these situations I always think of what Jesus said about stoning some woman. "Let who among us is without sin cast the first stone".

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I believe, recently Canada relaxed some of thier DUI standards. If you're DUI is over 10 years old you may not need a Ministers Pardon, but if you do it could take about a year.
You can call Canada Border Crossing Services at 800 438 7020 and tell them you're situation and they will advise you on what you need.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Do'nt know when the law went into effect, BUT---I found out
>today that I ca'nt go to Canada in a truck cause I had a DUI
>20 some odd yrs. ago(in my car ofcourse) I'm really glad to
>know that there really are perfect people in the world.
>(Canadians) They apparently are'nt allowed to make any
>mistakes
>

I've (since I seem to be the resident Canadian on this board) commented on this situation many times.
DUI (what we call IMPAIRED DRIVING up here) is a criminal offense. Period. A person with a criminal record (which is what a DUI conviction gives you) cannot enter Canada for business purposes.
It's the same for a Canadian trying to enter your country.
No criminal record allowed.
It has nothing to do with Canadians being perfect.
It has nothing to do with casting the first stone.
It's the law.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Rob,

Can a US Citizen with a DUI enter Canada for pleasure - for example a trip to Windsor?

As a Canadian I should know this, eh?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'll check into this Lawrence. I do know that Canada considers ALL DUI's felonies, regardless if they are lesser misdemeanors in the USA.

I do believe the border crossing restictions and need for Ministry Permits only involves those crossing into Canada who have DUI convictions in the USA who are operating commercial vehicles.

In other words, a pleasure trip for a US citizen convicted of a misdemeanor DUI in the USA can go on a vacation to Canada, provided it's not in a CMV.

These laws are changing like the winds, and its best to be sure before trying.

It will probably be more of a hassle now for the US citizen to get back into the USA than it will be for them to get into Canada!

-Weave-

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
RichM your post reminded me of an old joke so here goes:

Jesus was passing through a town when he came upon a large group of people getting ready to stone a Hooker.

When he got to the group he said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

All of a sudden out of the middle of the group a stone comes hurling out and bonks the Hooker on the head.

With that Jesus looked at the group and said "Mother, sometimes you p*ss me off!"

Sorry ...as a former class clown sometimes I just can't help myself

ATCO

Expert Expediter
I've heard the version where the rock comes from the sky/cloud. Jesus responds and says, ok Dad, you don't count...

I wish you luck with your Pardon... It seems like a tremendus(sp) amount of trouble, for what benefit for Canada?
-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
Wannabe

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Anyone who has a DUI conviction needs a ministers permit to enter Canada. Ten years ago my brother and I took the ferry from Seattle to Victoria, BC. Immigration ran a licence check on him and found he had an old DUI. We spent the day in the ferry building waiting for the next ferry back to Seattle. Guess who else needed a ministers permit to visit Canada? Yep George Bush

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Pappy,

I had a DUi in 1972. Check the archives. There is a company who can help you get a pardon if you want one. I called, and was told to carry a copy of the conviction when entering Canada. Haven't had any problems since.

You can apply for a pardon. When I checked, it was costly. I told the Officer in charge to send me the forms. I also requested that they send 2 copies to the President and VP. Wouldn't want them to get in trouble if they visit Canada. They both had DUIs in their past.

The only restriction is, I can't hall shipments for GM, Ford, Chrysler. It's a pity, since I love to transport shipments for the Big 3.

Good Luck

The Hooligans

ATCO

Expert Expediter
>The only restriction is, I can't hall shipments for GM,
>Ford, Chrysler. It's a pity, since I love to transport
>shipments for the Big 3.

Thats an interesting restriction. Any idea why?

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
Wannabe

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Big three are on on that FAST program. So those of us who are not on that program can't haul their loads
The Hooligans

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Bob,

I see your sig file is "Hooligans" does that mean there is more then one Hooligan now?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawrence,

No, there is just one Hooligan. I just found that most people remember his name, and not mine!

Will try to make to your seminar if I am home on Monday.

Hope to see you all soon

Bob and Hooligan
(The Hooligans)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Bob,

Ok, sound good. Hope to see you then.

Also, Kipper is working on his 4th, count 'em - 4th litter with his partner of choice.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/doggys/kipper_prancey.jpg
(Here they are in my office).

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Thanks For Visiting EO!