TV antennas

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What have you guys been finding for a good tv antenna? Would an indoor house antenna work inside our big metal homes?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the moment I use one of the flat plastic ones from Walmart. Hang it in my front window and in a decent area can get 3 - 15 channels.

Have been researching roof mounts and think I have decided on the Jack Antenna.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I was researching this a little bit last week. It seems that if you can mount it to metal (a van body) it increases the signal strength.....won't help me much with a fiberglass body though, I'm guessing.

Xiggi, do you know exactly what kind of flat antennae you have? I've read some good reviews on one made by winegard... about $40 on amazon iirc.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No maybe an RCA came from walmart

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I am using the Philips HDTV Flat Panel Indoor Outdoor amplified antenna and it came from Walmart..Maybe same as Xiggi is talking about..Plugs into wall outlet.
Works good when your in a populated area but out in the woods it doesn't draw in anything or much of anything..I had to run a small ground strap from the coaxial end to my wall mounting bolts to get the best performance out of it..Why or what the ground strap does I don't know. The farther from town I get the more the picture locks up/freezes. I used to get a more solid picture before digital came out.Now if a bird flys by the thing locks up.
It does seem to pull in all the reglious and home shopping channels no matter where I am at, even when I cant get a regular channel I get these ones. Maybe they just have a stronger signal???

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I use the flat plastic style with an external amp...the amp seems to really help when your in off areas..i seem to use my hdmi from my phone more and more to stream...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The window mount antenna, is that the one sold at truck stops? Does it allow your window to close tight?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes they're sold at Pilots. Work great. There's a small indentation in the window bracket that allows window to go all the way up without pinching the cable.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had a couple different indoor antennas and the reception has always been better if I hang it off my sun visor or something. I can have no story signal with it in the back move it to the window and pick up a few. Might be different with your fiberglass don't really know.

Directionals will always be better than omnis but as far as I know that requires roof mounting. At the yard my flat antenna will pick up like 15 channels in the window. At sheperdsville I get 3.

myvan010

Seasoned Expediter
When I installed my TV I had bought a plane type antenna and mounted it on top of the van, It did not work very well.Went to a pilot somewhere and seen a mirror mount rabbit ear type antenna for 10 bucks and I said what the hell..Got a moment and mounted it on the gutter of the van and it works great...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought the one from The J that hangs on the window glass. Seems to work really good. Did a channel scan here in Houston and got about 60 channels. Didn't try them all to see if they all worked or not. Found something good on channel 20.1 so I stopped.