Turn signal

citibori

Seasoned Expediter
I have an 07 Peterbilt 379. When I turn the left turn signal on the right and left start to blink but only on the rear of the tractor not anywhere else. It does this for a couple of minutes then my fuse blows. The front lights don't do it and neither does the trailer lights. Only the lights at the rear of the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would check the wires over well that lead to the rear, it sounds like something has rubbed through.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
As always check the ground.
It's probably a dual filament bulb, like an 1157. Pull bulb out and inspect. A filament will break and touch the other filament. This creates a very easy to repair short. Just change the bad bulb.

citibori

Seasoned Expediter
I disconnected the lights in the back and disconnected my pigtail and still the fuse blows. Is there a flasher for the right and one for the left?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You'll have to trace the wires foward to find short. The current is coming from dash and is shorting before it goes into the lights.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Does the pigtail unplug from trl and the truck ?
If still hooked to truck, I might unhook the wires from the beginning to the pigtail( maybe on the firewall ?) as a broken wire in the pigtail is a common issue,as could be a wire came loose IN the trl plug.

citibori

Seasoned Expediter
If the short was in the pigtail wouldn't it blow the right and left side fuses?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Well, it would probably affect the trl. If you disconnected the taillights doesyour problem show up ? How do you know ?
So how do you know it isn't in the tail-lights if they're disconnected ?
Does it only happen hooked to a trl ?
If so, when the trl is empty/ light loads or all loads ?

citibori

Seasoned Expediter
No it happens with the trailer disconnected and the two tail lights disconnected.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Unless someone has a better idea.
1) hook everything up as normal.
Make two little jumper wires to run from a good ground, one to each light. This may require knocking a little paint of a bolt to get to bare metal. Hopefully once grounded well your problem will be gone.
2) start tracing wires. Look for chafing.
Good luck.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The old school method would be to replace the fuse with something that won't blow and see where the smoke starts coming from.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The old school method would be to replace the fuse with something that won't blow and see where the smoke starts coming from.

hilarious-literal-images33.jpg

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Ah the smoke test! If you jumper the offending circuit to a DC breaker, you can trip the breaker quickly when you find the issue.

citibori

Seasoned Expediter
I thought of using the old school method but the fuse that it calls for is a 25 amp and the next one up is a 30 amp. Anyone know of a fuse that I can stick in there that won't blow?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I thought of using the old school method but the fuse that it calls for is a 25 amp and the next one up is a 30 amp. Anyone know of a fuse that I can stick in there that won't blow?

You can use a piece of anything that conducts electricity. As stated by Mdbtyhtr you can use a piece of wire with a switch or use 2 pieces of wire that you can quickly pull apart. I would recommend having an extra set of hands and eyes to help watch for the smoke or disconnect the circuit or maybe hold a fire extinguisher so your truck doesn't look like the picture Ragman posted.

citibori

Seasoned Expediter
So I can stick a wire where the fuse goes and ground it? I will have another pair of hands.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
You are just using a circuit breaker in place of the fuse, instead of a fuse blowing, the circuit breaker trips. You can also trip it manually if you see/smell the wires burning. Then you have found the problem, which is a hot wire on the turn signal circuit which is finding ground or earth for our British folks!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
This thread is going in a bad direction.
Think it's time to go to a shop.
The advice being given to someone with little experience in these things I'm afraid may put him in worse shape.
If things go bad, he'll be in the shop for a major repair.
Go to a shop while it's a minor repair.