Trucking Is More Than Good Driving Skills

Brandy

Expert Expediter
In the trucking industry, you need more than just driving skills you also need a brain between your ears. I times like these when freight is as lean as the American Turkey, expedited companies will do anything and say anything they can to get you to take a load that pays less than jack. I mean think about it, why would a big name expediting company accept a load in which they'er gonna make little or no money on? Case in point, I was in Toledo, Oh. and a message appeared on the Qualcomm saying "Need Help, I Really Need You to Take This Load" so me being the nice guy that I am or shall I say was, accepted the load. It picked up somewhere just north of Detroit and del back in Toledo. The next day I got the same bs message, but now it was paying $10 dollars less than yesterday, and it was the same weight, picking up from the same place and delivering to the same address. I swear they think us drivers are stupid, cause they offered it to another driver that was parked next to me and he took it cause they told him that "they really needed his help on it". I'm not saying that the expediting companies are treating us like crap, but if this were the airline industry they would be American Airlines top management and we would be the blue collard workers.

Sean

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>In the trucking industry, you need more than just driving
>skills you also need a brain between your ears. --- Most drivers in this industry don’t have any brains Sean. It’s a little hard for most drivers to think and hold the wheel at the same time. BUT! I agree with you 100% Especially if you’re an O/O.--- At times like
>these when freight is as lean as the American Turkey,
>expedited companies will do anything and say anything they
>can to get you to take a load that pays less than jack. I
>mean think about it, why would a big name expediting company
>accept a load in which they’re going to make little or no money
>on? --- Any Expedite Company for that matter --- Case in point, I was in Toledo, Oh. and a message
>appeared on the Qualcomm saying "Need Help, I Really Need
>You to Take This Load" so me being the nice guy that I am or
>shall I say was, accepted the load. It picked up somewhere
>just north of Detroit and del back in Toledo. The next day I
>got the same BS message, but now it was paying $10 dollars
>less than yesterday, and it was the same weight, picking up
>from the same place and delivering to the same address. I
>swear they think us drivers are stupid, --- YES they do!!!--- cause they offered
>it to another driver that was parked next to me and he took
>it cause they told him that "they really needed his help on
>it". --- What an idiot! --- I'm not saying that the expediting companies are
>treating us like crap, --- And why not? --- but if this were the airline industry
>they would be American Airlines top management and we would
>be the blue collard workers. --- All the more to say, and MEAN that Yes they are treating you all like crap. ---
>
>Sean

Just like the thread or 2 before someone took a load for $0.85 a mile just so he could get back home. I here drivers all the time talk about BACK HAULS!!! Well let me tell you guys, There is NO such thing as a back haul. A load goes from point A to point B, and if you’re lucky to go to point C, then it pays the same to the Company or Broker. This short pay thing started with a GREEDY Company, or Broker. They know when a driver is looking to go home and know some drivers will do just about anything to get there so WALA!!! now they come up with this wonderful load going your way, BUT for 20 to 30% less than the original cost. I deal with Companies all the time They will SCREW the driver EVERY chance they can. SO the choice is yours my friend!!! Choose it wisely!!!

Brandy

Expert Expediter
That was well said Teacel. I try to think positive out on the road but of late I keep seeing myself accepting STUPID loads that barley pay for the fuel being used and then I'm kicking myself afterwards saying why, why, why am I a sucker for their crap saying "Sean I Really Need Your Help On This Load".

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sean, I know the company you are leased to as I have seen that message many times. Consider it a RED FLAG as what it means is that it!s a junk load that has been offered around and no one will take it,due to low pay or some other reason.Since you were in Toledo it meant that all of the Detroit units refused the run .When your pickup time is less then 1.5 hours that also tells you the dispatcher has been working for some time to cover the trip. Good luck,I alway ask them on a discounted load,"Would you come to work today and do the same exact job you did yesterday,but do it for 35% less pay". That statement is hard for them to reply to..Drive safe.

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
AGAIN A COMPANY THAT BIDS LOADS ARE WORTHLESS YOU WILL NEVER MAKE ANY KIND OF MONEY WORKING FOR A COMPANY THAT BIDS MOST OF ITS FREIGHT.:-(

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There comes that day where you just have to say no. If you don't do it soon, they will know you are a sucker for the crappy loads, and will offer them to you all the time. You are not being a bad person by not accepting loads that make yo no money or are a total waste of time. Just tell the dispatchers that if you keep doing these little favors for them, you are going to go broke. Every driver will do the company a favor now and then, but when they are asking constantly it gets to be annoying. Just put foot down and say no.
-Weave-