Trucking for 8 years want to start my own business.

rupiefied

Active Expediter
I am looking into this because I would like to start my own business doing this. I will probably work one more summer for the company I have worked for and then get started this next winter.

I have driven class A trucks these past 8 years, but I am really interested in getting into straight trucks or even sprinter vans. I live in the seattle area so there are a lot of ports bringing stuff in around here.

Would it be good to find someone to help write a business plan, and try and get a SBA loan to get equipment with, or find a company to do a lease purchase from.

Thank you for all your help.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Oooooooh...some big problems here. Someone else will come along and address the business plan-SBA loan aspect, I'm sure, but the fact that you live near Seattle is a huge problem.

I always liked to go to Seattle when I was in a big truck. It's pleasant out there, it's an area outside of the regular freight lanes, new things to see, you get a long load coming back out, etc. But I haven't been there since I've been in a van, and only got out there a couple of times when I was in a straight truck.
I'm sure you've seen Sprinters out there. It's not like there are no such loads going there, but it's rare. You'd have a harder time getting home there than anywhere in the contiguous 48. I've been to Maine, Florida, and California more than the PAC NW. And when you do get home, you'll have a long-@$$ wait getting back out again. And the freight rates coming out are ridiculously low. I mean, LTL rates. Rates out, unless it truly is emergency freight, don't even cover the fuel, and there's frequently some pretty competitive bidding on even those from the units that are stuck out there.

Really, this is a no-go, right from the start.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We live on the Oregon coast. We plan to see our house four times in twelve months. We have had one load out of Seattle in three years. One out of Oregon. We drove our POV to Ohio to pick up our truck. Closest to home is LA so far. And our river crested at 28' two weeks ago totalling my car and we can't worry about things we can't see.. interesting life.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

rupiefied

Active Expediter
Oooooooh...some big problems here. Someone else will come along and address the business plan-SBA loan aspect, I'm sure, but the fact that you live near Seattle is a huge problem.

I always liked to go to Seattle when I was in a big truck. It's pleasant out there, it's an area outside of the regular freight lanes, new things to see, you get a long load coming back out, etc. But I haven't been there since I've been in a van, and only got out there a couple of times when I was in a straight truck.
I'm sure you've seen Sprinters out there. It's not like there are no such loads going there, but it's rare. You'd have a harder time getting home there than anywhere in the contiguous 48. I've been to Maine, Florida, and California more than the PAC NW. And when you do get home, you'll have a long-@$$ wait getting back out again. And the freight rates coming out are ridiculously low. I mean, LTL rates. Rates out, unless it truly is emergency freight, don't even cover the fuel, and there's frequently some pretty competitive bidding on even those from the units that are stuck out there.

Really, this is a no-go, right from the start.

2012: Ron Paul or not at all.
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

Well thank you for that information, guess I will have to look into something else then.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Rupiefied;

Part of the "Dream" of owning your own business is "making it happen". I commend you for seeking others advice on this forum, but do some research. Is there a need for Expediting in Seattle? Are there other expedite companies currently established in the Seattle area? I think that Expediting is a relatively new concept to some of the areas out west. Do some additional research before giving up on that dream. Heck, there could be a goldmine sitting under your nose.

An SBA Business plan would most likely require this research.

Thanks,