Trucker Buddy

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I wonder how many of us are in the Trucker buddy program.About 12 years ago this program was started by a trucker to help create a more positive image of truckers. It links up truckers with school classrooms around the country. Basically the the trucker sends some postcards to his/her class a couple of times a week telling the class where they have been,what they hauled etc.
My wife and I have been with this program since it!s inception.We had a class in Omaha,and in Danbury CT and for the last 6 years have been linked up with a 6th grade class in Moundville Alabama. We write to them and they write back to us. The teacher (who is one dedicated individual) said "Whenever I say your homework is too write to Richard and Mary I get no complaints and the next morning there are all the letters to go".
It can be very rewarding. When the Christmas Holidays come around we send to each child through the teacher a Christmas card. One time we got back a reply from an 11 year old,that in her whole life no one had ever bothered to send her a Christmas card. Touching for sure. So If you are interested go to www.truckerbuddy.com. They need truckers.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
While I am not in the program, I have been doing this for about 8 yrs. My wife is a teacher and I have been doing this with her classes since she started teaching. It is also a good learning tool for them to learn geography and info on the states. I also have been having them do routing for me 1 trip a week. The kids seem to like it, and my wife likes when they are doing routing, since they keep busy and give her some quiet time.