Truck Stops

ATeam

Retired Expediter
ATeam Where do you park at? Rest areas, Walmart?

Rest areas, yes. Wal-Mart, yes. With our straight truck, we tend to go where 24 hour businesses can be found. Restaurant managers will often give permission to park overnight in their lots (but not Steak and Shake, never had much success with them). Grocery store managers are also usually glad to say yes, and often express gratitude for being asked first.

We will sometimes just park on the street in nice neighborhoods, usually near a retail district where upscale stores can be found. Office parks in those areas are usually quiet and available.

After deliveries, if sleep is needed, we will sometimes ask the consignee for permission to stay right there.

At the moment, we are on a 24 hour rest. We have had a series of especially difficult runs and are just plain pooped. This morning, after working all night on a run, we stayed at a Wal-Mart to sleep. We also spent money there buying groceries and truck supplies.

At this moment, we are at a Barnes and Nobel bookstore. Diane is inside reading. I'm enjoying my "cave time," as Diane calls it, in the truck. I might later walk across the lot to a theater to catch a movie.

Tonight, after the bookstore closes, we will return the the same Wal-Mart or another one in the area that we have also stayed at before.

If we wanted to, we could easily park right here for the night. But we like the 24 hour places best, where the lighting is good and people are coming and going. That feels more secure and makes a truck invasion or vandalism less likely.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Absolute without a doubt worst truck stop we ever stayed at was just north of Joliet, Ill.....I-55 truckstop...........NASTY!!! DANGEROUS!!! And they charged $12 a night to stay there! We didn't dare get out of the truck!!!!!!!!!
But, back then we were newbies........we learned our lesson the hard way...........
Anyone remember the Jersey Truck Stop in Newark N.J.???? Was at one time considered the most dangerous truck stop in the whole country. Think there was at least one murder a night in that joint!!! Not even sure if it's still open.......hope not!@!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The I-55 Truck Stop at exit 257 is closed! I had a transfer there a couple of weeks ago only to find huge concrete barriers blocking the entrance. Did the swap at the BP across the street. I don't think that dump will be missed.