Truck Stops Plus??

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Anyone using the above add on to MS Streets & Trips?

I have S&T for my laptop, and have the free truck info template from Largo Software's site, but am considering purchasing this add on.

The TS+ add on seems to be more comprehensive, regarding truck stops and other truck facilities, and contains info regarding each truck stop, besides giving it's location. Also, it includes independent truck stops as well as the big chains.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hadn't found that one before. I just ordered it. Thanks for posting about it.

ChadBurr76

Seasoned Expediter
If you have S&T you can convert it to Delorme on your own there is a huge learning curve but you can do it. Took me about three tries to get it how I wanted it.

I highly recommend Truck Stops Plus! I use it daily. It's a real time saver. I use it on delorme Even add all my shippers and WIFI hotspots.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I use Truck Stops Plus I have used it for a year. Although I'm no longer in a T/T, I still like to look for places to rest.

I find it great to use, but it slows my S&T down quite a bit since it is so full of POI's. I save my pickups and deliveries in my own template and can import them into any new version of TS+.

I'm planning to download the 2011 version today. It's a great $40 investment.

Podcast

Seasoned Expediter
I’m also an avid user of the Truck Stops Plus and the 2011 version is by far the best version yet. I started with the 2009 version.

With respect to slowing down Streets & Trips, the only thing I’ve noticed is Streets & Trips takes a little longer to start up in the mornings because of all of the POIs, but once it’s started up it operates normal as always.

I also open up two more instances of it that I leave minimized to use to check mileage from my current location to various truck stops, for instance, to find one I can drive to without running out of hours, or to route around traffic backups without interfering with my current trip, among other things. As a matter of fact, I find myself using the extra open instances all the time for various things during the course of the day that always come up.

Anyway, I can’t tell you how nice it is to be able to search and route to truck stops, rest areas, turnpike services plaza, Walmarts, etc. no matter where you are in a matter of seconds vs. several minutes doing it the manual way, especially when you are in the boondocks or out in Canada, and I love the fact that you can see all those various things far in advance while navigating too. In any event, with all the time you save to me it more than pays for itself.

Oh, by the way, they do now sell a version for Delorme. One of my buddies is a long time dedicated Delorme user who has been waiting forever for them to make a version for Delorme. Well he called me a while back to tell me he finally downloaded a version of the Truck Stops Plus for Delorme.

Anyway, I just want to say I'm a long time user and I recommend it too. To me it is well worth the money.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only thing I don't like about it is the blocked areas in some of the cities. I don't want any areas restricted to routing and after all this time I still come across a blocked area now and then. I delete them and resave but I'd like to get a version that has none to begin with or at least a way to delete them all at once.

Podcast

Seasoned Expediter
The only thing I don't like about it is the blocked areas in some of the cities. I don't want any areas restricted to routing and after all this time I still come across a blocked area now and then. I delete them and resave but I'd like to get a version that has none to begin with or at least a way to delete them all at once.

I deleted all of them in the 2010 version, but then I later regretted it when I almost got a ticket in Suffolk Virginia. Hence, I left them on in the 2011 version and if they get in the way, i delete them only for that particular trip I'm running but not permanently. Indeed, they've now saved me from going down restricted routes or roads with low overheads now on several occasions. Hence, now that I understand them, I like them.

In any event, what I did with the 2010 version was turn the display to night mode and then expanded the display. Once I did that they stuck out like a sore thumb as they glowed yellow in stark contrast to the the blackness and were easy to spot. Then I simply click inside them and hit the delete key. Once I did that, I saved the file as a .stt file, and it didn't take me long to do, as like I said they were easy to find and delete. However, at that time I didn't understand what they were there for.

In any event, you must drive an expediter truck, whereas i drive an 18 wheeler. In addition, I can't tell you how much better the 2011 version is than the previous versions, you can tell they put a lot of time and effort into improving it this time around. Anyway, good luck and you stay warm and safe.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've used the night mode also but some of them have to be zoomed in pretty tight to show up so I'm still finding them now and then. I was driving a 6 wheel D unit and now drive a cargo van so I can do without them. If I were in a tractor I'd be inclined to keep them. I may check into upgrading to the 2011 version although for my purposes what I have does an okay job.