Truck Spec opinions

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
O.K. Truck Spec experts - I am thinking seriously of spec'ing a KW T300. The cab measures in at 9 feet, allowing an 8 foot sleeper and a 22 foot box. KW offers this truck with an optional 14,000 lb. front axle and a 30,000 lb. single rear axle, giving you a whopping 44,000 GVW.

As near as I can figure, the empty truck with fuel, drivers(2), generator, and personal items/tools would be just over 20,000 lbs., leaving 24,000 lbs. available for payload.

The biggest problem I have seen discussed on the forums is overloading of the front axle and the need for tags or pushers on single rears. Of course, the optional capacity axles will add more to the purchase price. But the way I look at it, not having the hassle of exact load placement or turning down heavy loads, combined with the savings on the second rear axle and its related maintenance should offset the initial costs rather quickly.

Is anyone running a set-up like this now, or are most of the single rear axle rigs limited to 33,000 GVW?

Any input will be appreciated.

BanditMan

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!"

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I've seen a few trucks like that on the road. From an expediting freight standpoint, they strike me as very well configured. It will get the job done. It's a truck that will give you several years of good service (if well maintained of course), haul just about any kind of expedited freight that will come your way (especially if it's reefer equipped), and provide more sleeper space than you get with some class 8 trucks with their factory sleepers.

No matter what truck you buy, you have to give up something to gain something else. With this truck you give up class 8 durability but you gain payload ability. You give up space for say a ten foot sleeper, but you gain a bigger box for hauling larger loads. You give up some elbow room in the cab and the smoother ride of a class 8, but you gain a price advantage over some trucks with larger cabs.

If you are OK living in and driving a class 7 ride, I think the truck configuration you describe represents a good set of wise choices.

silverdollar

Expert Expediter
My T-300 has mostly all class 8 componets.when I sold my tractors I speced the little truck about the same as a tractor.315 cummins,straight 10 speed roadranger,jake brake,cruise,heavy frame,air ride.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are running a single axle, 33,000 GVW is all you can legally haul. You would need the extra axle to go higher. There are some recent posts (three axle rig) that cover alot of these issues. I don't personally see a need for them, but many would disagree. Depends on your carrier and what addional costs you want to bear.
If you want to add a tag, do it after your purchase and have it recertified. If put on new, be prepared for Federal Highway Tax, and other costs.

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
O.K davekc, I'm curious now. If the factory GVWR is 44,000 (14,000 front/30,000 rear), why is it legally restricted to 33,000 GVW by virtue of it being a single rear axle? I was under the impression that the factory rating was the basis for legal operation on the country's highways.

BanditMan

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
different states have different ways of computing weight. Most states will limit you to 12,000 on the front. The heavier axles are usally speced for construction equipment or some other application, not over the road. The back axle would be the same. You can have a axle rated way above the legal limit but you are still stuck at that number. 21000 GVW on the rear. Combo of the two puts you at 33,000GVW
Of course you can increase the capacity on the rear by adding a secondary axle ect.
Hope that explains it better:)

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
Yes, that does clear it up.Thank you. I was basing my thinking process on my background in the fire and rescue service where 45,000 GVW trucks on single rears are the order of the day.

mobile 1

Expert Expediter
14k front and 30k rear is offerd on the 2005 t300.
You can spec this on any config. you want through you dealer no problem.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm curious about that 12,000 front axle limit. The reefer-equipped, generator-equipped, team-occupied, packed-full-of-personal-gear Freightliner Century Class straight truck we currently run scales empty at 13,600 front axle weight. Under load that number goes up. We've driven in 47 of the lower 48 states and have been weighed countless times. Never once have scale cops ticketed or even questioned our 13,600 front axle weight. Why do they not do so if the legal limit is 12,000? I've seen the charts too...the 12,000 front axle limit is a widely published number. I'm not questioning the source. I'm questioning why the scale cops show little concern about steer axles that weigh over 12,000 lbs.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
actually the weight is 6 lbs per square inch in most states. Glad you've not had a problem yet. Watch out for Mississippi they are looking at 12,200 lbs for front axle weight with a 11R 22.5 tire even though it is "g" rated at 7700 lbs per tire, go figure!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If your front end is 13,600 or higher, you are pushing your luck. Alot of states will give you some extra weight but I would be careful. Even with a reefer, generator, and full fuel tanks, you should be under that weight empty. What kind of motor do you have?

DuMass

Expert Expediter
I'm curious about the "6 lbs per sq inch" thing. How is that calculated? At 12,600 isn't that around 14 sq feet?