Truck Questions????

british380

Seasoned Expediter
What kind of trucks does everyone prefer for expediting for a C or D unit(Team)?
Peterbuilt,KW,Freightliner,Sterling,Volvo etc...

Make,model,eng,trans,goodies,etc etc..

If your driving one of these now what is your average mpg?
How are your operating costs?

Class 7 or 8?

Any comments or suggestions......Thanks.....:D

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Last January I bought 1998 FL70, 631,000 miles, CAT 3126 engine top end done at 3000,000 miles, 6 speed Allison automatic transmission, alloy wheels, 84” Benz sleeper with full size RV toilet in bathroom, RV refrigerator with separate freezer, microwave, 19” flat screen TV, XM radio, DVD player, CB radio, laptop computer with aircard, inverter, sink with 10 gallon water tank, ample storage for gear and food in 4 cabinets, 22’ Kidron dry box with roll-up door, 3 rows of e-trak wish I had 4 rows for those occasional loads that are difficult to secure, 30 furniture blankets, 4 load bars, 8’ folding aluminum ladder to work on running lights, 4’x8’ ½” plywood shelf to store blankets in front of box, 2 dozen ratchet straps stored in plastic milk box, 4’x8’ ½” sheet of plywood,1500 lb pallet jack, 2500 lb liftgate, landing dolly, dual wheel tag axle, air ride for box, sleeper and cab, dual 75 gallon fuel tanks, 3’ exterior tool box, tool box with assortment of tools needed to accomplish simple repairs, pry bar, sledge hammer, 3'x4'x8' custom made sheet metal box that holds pallet jack and anything else you wish to store built under truck frame in front of liftgate, Onan/Cummings Comfort Guard APU System and most important store in front of box 1982 Yamaha XT 550cc motorcycle so I can better enjoy layovers.

I don’t carry HazMat loads and the 2’1/2” of space motorcycle take up hasn’t affected space needed for loads. I would estimate 90% of loads are fewer than 6 pallets. Fuel mileage depends on operating speed, road conditions and terrain so I average 7.5 to 11 mpg.

Operating expenses will vary with each driver and truck being I own a used truck mine is quite low. I prepare and eat almost all my meals in truck which means I keep a well stocked refrigerator and food closet. Laundry and showers are my biggest expense outside of food. Every now and again I just have to buy this or that which throws a curve into my budget but I just had to have it. Hear is link for CPM sheet complements of OOIDA Cost Per Mile Worksheet
You may consider joining OOIDA the one organization looking out for us.

I drove for 2 fleet owners for a year before deciding to buy my own truck as a solo driver. Reading current and archived posts on EO, e-mailing many members asking a slew of rookie questions, talking to several EO members on the phone asking them a slew of questions, contacting many O/O & fleet owners about their trucks that are for sale enabled me to find out what equipment is needed and what will just make the time in the truck more enjoyable. Contacting drivers at truck stops asking them about their truck and equipment was also a valuable tool.

Good Luck!

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Your more than welcomed.

The more questions you ask in forums, PM, e-mail, phone and in person will truly help to clear up many issues needed to accomplish before you make your decision.

Good Luck!