Truck Driving School

Ramrod

Expert Expediter
Howdy Folks,
My name is Ed and I'm about to make the plunge into the expediting biz. I naturally have a truckload of questions. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience.

I live in the North Eastern Atlanta GA area. I will be driving solo at first and if I am successful my wife may get her CDL and join me. She has a good paying job now and we think we will need her income to get me thru the learning curves of this business.

Is Atlanta a good area to be based? Can I expect decent home time?

What company would be best to lease my truck to in the Atlanta GA area?

Considering the area I live in which size truck would be good for me to start with? B, C, or D?

I'm thinking seriously of going to Truck Driving School ( one week, $1,500 ) to get a class B CDL. Is there another less expensive way to get a class B CDL? Any endorsments I should have?

I guess that's enuff for now.
Thanks again for your help,
Ramrod

lighting

Expert Expediter
if you know someone with a truck couldnt you take test and drive there truck, if i was going to spend that much money i would go ahead a get a class A if possible so you can also drive tractor tralier.i dont to discourage you but if you never been in expediting i would drive for someone else for a while to see if you like it.

Ramrod

Expert Expediter
Thanks Lightning,
The cost for the Class A course is $3,500.00 if I pay cash and $4,000 if they finance. I wish I knew someone with a truck but I don't.

Do you know of any owners who would hire a newby?

lighting

Expert Expediter
have you looked in the classified ads on this site they are quit a few there.i might need driver later thinking about getting local job,would like to be home more

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You do have some other choices available. For only the cost of a CDL with a hazmat endorsement, you could go with either a cargo van (B truck) or start with a C truck (usually up to 5000 lb loads). A class C CDL is easy to get, plus you take the driving test in the same truck. My wife took her driving test in a 24ft U-Haul truck.

Vernon

prescat

Expert Expediter
Good luck with whatever you decide Ramrod! First, the answer to your last question is that it is possible that a "C" unit could have airbrakes, although most likely it won't. As for alternatives to the $1500 to a trucking school for your class "B", you have some options.
If you have truck driving experience and can alley-dock, reverse, and turn, you can get the CDL book and take the written test, (with hazmat and airbrakes)by yourself. Then, you can go to the driving school and rent the truck and someone to take you to the test for the day. (That's what I did, it cost me $225 for the day of the test, and they made me buy a $75 2 hour evaluation, which was worth it! The guy that took me went over everything once before I tested. I had been driving an under 26,000GVW for years though). You may want to rent a 24' U-haul to practice for a day. The total is still cheaper. Your other option is to get free training with a bus company and work part-time for them while your setting up expediting. My girlfriend did this and just added the hazmat later! Once again, good luck whatever you decide.:)

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
You said your girlfriend has a GOOD paying job. She is going to be very pissed off at you for allowing her to quit her GOOD paying job to live in a truck. My wife did that 2 years ago and I will never be able to tell her how sorry I am for talking her into this EXPEDITING thing. We bought 2 trucks and I sometimes wish I were DEAD. Thats right DEAD. Do not let her quit her job. It is ok for you to be stupid because you are a man but PLEASE think of her and leave her where she is until you get over this expediting thing and come to your senses. Tell her you will be home soon and believe me you will..:'(

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ramrod..I started trucking years ago, and when I started I had never even been inside one. I started with North American Van Lines. They had, and I think they still do have, an excellent onsight driving school, in Fort Wayne. About a year later, my wife decided she wanted to go with me on the road. By that time i had enough experience to qualify for Mayflower Van Line´s electronic fleet, where i was wanting to go. They also had an excellent driving school, and taught my wife to drive tractor trailer. You only pay a token fee for lodging i think, and the training is first rate, and intensive at both places, and they don´t let you leave until you pass. That was in the days before CDL, but i think they may still be doing it, and there are other outfits that will train you for both driving and CDL. I see thier adds in the paper. Call both and see what they have to offer. Swift may be another.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Howdy Folks,
>My name is Ed and I'm about to make the plunge into the
>expediting biz. I naturally have a truckload of questions.
>Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience.
>

Not sure if you will thank me but will share my experience.

>I live in the North Eastern Atlanta GA area. I will be
>driving solo at first and if I am successful my wife may get
>her CDL and join me. She has a good paying job now and we
>think we will need her income to get me thru the learning
>curves of this business.

Keep her there for about 2 years at least. By then you will know if will work out.

>
>Is Atlanta a good area to be based? Can I expect decent home
>time?

No such thing as decent home time. To make a living you will be out awhile. Not a whole lot coming out of atlanta but some business. Depends on size of vehicle you have.
>
>What company would be best to lease my truck to in the
>Atlanta GA area?
>
Look at the addresses of the expedite companies. This will give you an idea of where the business is at.

>Considering the area I live in which size truck would be
>good for me to start with? B, C, or D?
>
How much can you afford to lose? Seriously, if it goes sour, how much will sink you. First of all, do not buy a new truck or van. Second, put down a good down payment to keep your payments down. The bank don't care about slow business. They want there money on time! Another suggestion is if expediting doesn't work for you, can you use your vehicle whith another company in your area. Check freight forwarders, local couriers and even the airport to see if they take owner/operators and what size vehicle is required. In other words, have a back up job.

> I'm thinking seriously of going to Truck Driving School (
>one week, $1,500 ) to get a class B CDL. Is there another
>less expensive way to get a class B CDL? Any endorsments I
>should have?
>
Everyone else pretty much covered this. My suggestion would be to go drive tractor trailer. They will pay for your school (one of the big companies). Suck it up for 2 years. Then you will know if you want to be on the road. You may even like this better as this is were you can make some descent money (depending on company). Most big companies have new equipement. Drive there stuff and keep your money for yourself. I know a few owner/operator husband and wife teams and they love it on the road. If you get tired of the big rig after 2 years, at least you will be qualified to drive just about anything below.

>I guess that's enuff for now.
> Thanks again for your help,
> Ramrod

I hope I gave you some good advise. I learned the hard way and lost alot because of it. The economy is still slow and hard to predict right now. If you jump in at the right time, with the right carrier, you could make it. Alot depends how long your willing to spend on the road. I had no problem staying out 3 weeks at a time. There just wasn't enough business to keep me afloat so I sank like a rock.
Good luck on what ever you choose.
Randy
:)