Truck Driving or Expediting

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Probably depends on how much you want to make. I drove tractor trailer for a couple of years then switched to expediting. You can always find work with tractor/trailer and keep pretty busy. Expediting is a little different as trying to keep busy. If you run as a team, you can probably make some good money expediting. Running single isn't impossible to make money, just a little harder. The economy has alot to do with both. One of the reasons I went to a straight truck is I can go pretty much anywhere. Try pulling into a burger king with a big rig and a 53 foot trailer. My advice would be drive one for about a year then switch to the other. But do it with a company truck. Once you figured it out, then invest in your own if you think your ready to be an owner/operator. Hope it works out for you.
Randy:)

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bearcat is right! I too started in a tractor trailer and did it for several years. As a single, I think you can make more with a big rig. But, if it's your own rig, your fixed expenses and maintenance, are much greater, than a straight truck or van. Expediting, as a single, if you can get with an outfit that will keep you moving year round, you'll make a decent living. The secret is finding that outfit. Especially in this economy. Like Bearcat said, try one, drive for a company...but I'd do six months, instead of a year, then try the other.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
right now it is hard time in expediting so far this month i'm under
my goal for the month with fexcc, but have been trip leasing for a friend who has given me 2 loads a day, just to keep money coming in
if i wasn't retired from the navy it would be harder

also when times are slow find a good company that you may be able
to trip lease on the side, but remeber if you drive for fedexcc have
to cover all signs and run under that company's iccmc and dot no's
etc

expediting is good income for people who have retired once already
truck driving is for full time make more money at that than expediting
sometimes