Tri-State Good or Bad?

StillWorkin

Expert Expediter
I was looking into Tri-State and wondered how they are treating their contractors these days (with Straight Trucks). How do they do with solo's and teams.
What is the average miles or dollars per week for each? What is the deadhead percentage? Is there a lot of sitting or do they keep you moving pretty good?
What do they do good and what do they do bad?
Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
PM

trhoades

Expert Expediter
I was with them from 01/04-10/04. I liked working for them just fine. Alot of short runs though, but they kept me pretty busy. Also,when I started with them there was alot of start up costs but I believe they have changed few things since then. I haven't seen too many complaints on the forum about them, so that is a good sign.

In case you were wondering, I left them because I bought a sprinter. They didn't pay any extra for Sprinter loads. I don't know if that has changed or not. I hope I have been some help, but it has been a year, so I'm sure things have changrd a bit.

G

Well, I had A truck on with them and made great money as a team and as a single driver. There one of the 1st compaines in this business. When I started in March of 1995 there was Robert's Express, Tri-State, TNT ( which is now TST), CTX and Express America ( which is Land star now.

If I was a new to this business and was thinking about doing this, I would check these place's 1st because they have been doing it longer than all the other newer Compaines. I know Tri-State pay's $1.15 a loaded mile to there C and D unit and FedEx pays 58% of what is charged to customer. So to respond to you in regards to Tri-State I would not think twice about putting a truck back on with them. There a Good Company and if you don't listen to all the other driver's that say bad things and get you upset you will do great.

If you want go with them call Phil or Greg in recruiting. There great guys to deal with. Hope this helps you with your looking for. I just try to tell it like it really is. If you know me then you know I'm just that way.

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
as someone who has driven for almost every one of the larger co's i have to say that Tri-State is pretty typical in the business. They have some pretty big start up costs and you will find drivers that don't like them and others who have been there for alot of years. they pay 1.15 for straight trucks and 1.53 for tractor rigs.

does anyone know what there backhaul pay is now