Tri-State: Fact or Fiction

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We just heard that Tri-State has just raised it's pay per mile to $1.15 for D Units. Fact or fiction? All loads regardless weight/size?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I hadn't heard an amount yet, but there was an article a few days ago stating they went to a flat rate...

http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/article_1410.html

That would make them a bit more attractive, in my eyes anyway, one of the biggest complaints I've heard from new drivers for them, was trying to figure out the pay system, where the price break was etc.

Dreamer

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Dreamer,

>That would make them a bit more attractive, in my eyes
>anyway, one of the biggest complaints I've heard from new
>drivers for them, was trying to figure out the pay system,
>where the price break was etc.

Yup, sure does make them look a bit more attractive. Although, I wonder if they also got rid of household movers guide for milage routing too! This would really make them look good especially if they still kept the same dead head pay sytem of paying after the first 50, drivers relations, and still keep auto freight to a min

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Seeing is believing!
Flat rate started Monday the 1st!
C units 12'-16'=$1.10
D units 18'-24'=$1.15
E units(tandems)$1.15 and $1.35 if load is over 14,000 lbs
F units(tractors)$1.53

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi ABC-

>C units 12'-16'=$1.10

Does this mean if you carry for, example, a "c" load and you are a "d" you carry load for $1.10 or $1.15?

If you would, will you answer a couple of other questions about Tri-State? Do they still use HHG for the milage calculations? Do they put the amount of your run pay on the Qualcomm? How are they doing without GM? Have they lost a lot of trucks recently? Do you know anything about the sign on bonus they are offering? Do they still require you to have an 800 number pager and/or a cell number in their area code?

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Mcbride,
Thanks for the questions.
If you are a d unit, you will get paid a d rate at $1.15/mi. Even if you haul a c load. Alomst all the mileage is calculated pc. There might be 1 or 2 accounts that are under the old HHG, but those contracts will be renewed shourtly. Everything is given to you on the QC. The mileage, the directions, when it picks up, delivers and of course, what the total run pays. The freight has been replaced by other non auto freight resulting in an increase in the rate.Tri-State lost some trucks the first half of last year and are now building the fleet back up again with the increase in business. As far as communications, a cell phone or pager is acceptable. Sign on bonus is as follows:
Solo Straight Truck- $750
Team Straight Truck- $1000
Solo Tractor $1500
Team Tractor $3000
1/2 of your sign on bonus paid up front!

abc

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you for such a quick response to my questions ABC...your answers surely give us something to think about. First thing we did is run for the calculator...we would probably average around $800 more per month with all run miles being paid at $1.15. Hmmm, yes, really something to think about.

Now, if I remember correctly, Tri-State's Qualcomm can give you positioning with regards to your truck and trucks in several other locations..? They also have some sort of driver's relations department as I recall too. Do they offer your trucks information on line like FedexCC?

Tri-State is also talking about offering health care plans too we heard.

Thanks again we really appreciate the information.

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter
jeez F units get $1.53, I'm used to getting a $1-$1.20 a mile. I think I'll be calling them shortly.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck

us_roadrunner

Expert Expediter
McBride,

Regarding your question about if Tri-State provides online information for your loads and settlements, etc.....They do not. I just spoke with a Tri-State recruiter today and asked him the same question coincidentally. But he said all of the information is provided on the qualcomm and also settlement sheets are "very detailed" in his words.

Brian

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Brian,

Thanks for response regarding the on line information at Tri-State.
You save me a call!

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Mcbride,
Hello again,
Tri-State does have a contractor relations department still and yes, you can find out how many units are in different areas to help make an educated decision on relocating.
As far as online info for your truck, that is not available. If you are interested in primary health care, check out www.tstate.com and there should be a link to give you some info on it. I know if you live in OH,MI or IN they have coverage available which just started this year.

Things always are changing.

G

Seems that tri-state is determined to get things straightened out. That is commendable. The only question I would have would be concerning the HHG customers. They must be a fairly large portion of their business or they wouldn't allow them to pay based on the HHG miles since nearly every driver I've seen on these forums absolutely hates HHG. That is the only flaw I see that is left. The rest of their package seems to be at least as good if not better than any of the others.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Hey Arky,
A very small if not miniscule portion are HHG. Unfortunately,
you can't change the mileage calculation of a customer until the contract is up. What I hear, whatever small part of HHG contracts are left, will be changed this year.

ABC

G

ABC, thanks for the clarification. That's probably what I should have asked for in the first place. It does seem that tri-state is serious about improving their company, I like that.

Thx,

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just a couple of points about Tri State's new policies:

(1) Their method of pricing to their customers has in the past been based on the WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS OF THE CARGO - not the size of vehicle they're using (refer to message #4 in this thread). For example, A & B catagories specify maximum dimensions of 107"x48"x47" and maximum weight of 2500 lbs. If a "C" Unit hauls this cargo, the customer would still pay the "A/B" or "van" rate. Unless their pricing plan changed on 3/1, this would be incompatible with the new driver compensation plan, so I would want to make sure (in writing) they are truly basing compensation on vehicle size.

(2) Most all of their major customers have had contracts in place that specify HHG mileage. A few of these account for a fairly large percentage of their moves. It remains to be seen whether or not these large corporations will agree to conversion to PC Miler, but hopefully that will be the case.

(3) What percentage of their accessorial charges are passed on to the drivers? EG, fuel surcharge is 5 or 6% of the linehaul charges; weekend/holiday surcharge in their standard accessorial tariff is $85 for Sat. and $100 for Sun or holidays.

Just thought I would pass these along for everyone's consideration.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm glad this company is making a change, Good Luck Tri-State!!!

[font color="red" size="6"]BUT![/font]​

That HHG and PC miles to me is all a bunch of BS!! The companies say they use this as a means of pricing. Well okay!!! That’s good but why make the driver eat the stupidity or incompetence of a salesman. The salesman sells the run or trip for what ever, right! The company pays a driver X amount of money per mile, right! So a mile turned is a mile paid. So pay the driver his due money!!!

I delivered a 262 mile trip once, that the company mapped out, but only wanted to pay 238 miles. SO!!! When I hit 238 miles I called the dispatcher and told him he needed to call the consignee to inform them that I was putting his freight on the side of the road. When the dispatcher ask why (well he screamed it) I told him I drove 238 miles and didn’t reach the destination so I was delivering it to the 238 mile pay point. They changed their tune real quick!!! BUT! I didn’t drive for that A-hole much longer. They decided I was a liability, and blackballed me from any loads so I had to quit them or starve. I was hoping they would fire me but I think they knew better!!!

[font color="fucshia" size="3"]IF YOU DON’T STAND FOR SOMETHING YOU’LL FALL FOR ANYTHING!!![/font]

G

>>> weekend/holiday surcharge in their standard accessorial tariff is $85 for Sat. and $100 for Sun or holidays<<<

Could someone clarify this for me?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They are proposing to charge the customer an extra $85 for pickup or delivery on Sat. or an extra $100 for Sundays or holidays, unless the customer is under a contract that specifies otherwise. My point is that since the drivers are the ones working on the weekends or holidays in these cases,do they get a good percentage of this surcharge, or other surcharges for that matter? Yet another question to ask their recruiters.