TRAVEL ALERT: That impacts Straight Trucks.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
SPECIAL TRAVEL ALERT: Pennsylvania and New York Area

Beginning at midnight on Tuesday, March 6, PennDOT will impose a ban on empty straight trucks, large combination vehicles (tandem trailers and double trailers), tractors hauling empty trailers, trailers pulled by passenger vehicles, motorcycles and recreational vehicles, or RVs, on:

• Interstate 78 from the junction with Interstate 81 in Lebanon County to the New Jersey line.
  • I-80 from the junction with Interstate 81 to the New Jersey line.
  • I-81 from the Maryland line to the New York State line.
  • I-84 from the junction with Interstate 81 to the New York State line.
  • I-380 from the junction with Interstate 80 to the junction with Interstate 81.
Additionally, at 8:00 AM on Wednesday, all commercial vehicles will be banned on I-380 and I-84 within Pennsylvania.

Restrictions will remain in place as long as warranted through the storm. As conditions develop, speed restrictions and wider truck and vehicle bans will be considered on these routes.

PA Turnpike is anticipating enacting the ban on empty straight trucks, large combination vehicles (tandem trailers and double trailers), tractors hauling empty trailers, trailers pulled by passenger vehicles, motorcycles and recreational vehicles, or RVs, on portions of the N.E. Extension from Allentown to the end of the N.E. Extension at midnight. This may expand based on weather conditions.

The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for Eastern New York, the Mid-Hudson Valley and New York City/Long Island. A Winter Storm Watch has been issued for Central New York.

A strong Nor'easter is expected to hit the region beginning early Wednesday morning and continuing through Thursday morning. Snow accumulations could reach up to 20 inches in some locations. With snowfall rates between 1 and 2 inches per hour, travel will be dangerous and should be avoided!

Motor carriers should be prepared for restrictions along I-84, I-87, I-90, the NYS Thruway, the Long Island Expressway, and on NYC bridges as a result of high winds. Please plan accordingly for alternate routes and safe truck parking.

TANY will provide updates as the storm progresses and encourages all drivers to download TANY's free app for up-to-the-minute alerts on road restrictions. Please spread the word about this app, as it will help notify drivers about road restrictions as they happen. To get the TANYOnTheGo mobile app for iOS and Android phones visit the App Store or Play Store and search for TANY - the app is free to everyone!

If you must travel, please remember to SLOW DOWN and pay attention to signs, which may indicate temporary travel restrictions.

Drivers should be prepared to stop and find a safe place to park if conditions become too difficult for travel.