tractor trailer expediters

charliemcc

Expert Expediter
i tried to find the search button before i placed this new thread but i couldn't find it. Does the on the road life of a tractor trailer expediter differ much from a straight truck expediter? i know one main difference is the fact that a straight truck can go places that a tractor trailer cannot go. but do tractors spend as much time waiting as a straight truck?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
To be honest I have almost no experience in tractor trailer expedite but I would doubt they sit no more than 24 hours or less depending on their location. If you sign onto the right company they will keep that tractor rolling and not sitting.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't know how everyone operates but Teams are usually on the go. If they aren't pulling expedite freight most will load them with regular T/Load freight. Mine run under a manufacturers contract pulling their freight, but I do have an exclusion to pull general freight for others if they don't have freight back to home base, which hasn't happened. I have pulled one pallet on a Team T/T from Washington back to S.C. They go out of their way to keep my drivers and myself happy. Not to many left like that.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
i tried to find the search button before i placed this new thread but i couldn't find it. Does the on the road life of a tractor trailer expediter differ much from a straight truck expediter? i know one main difference is the fact that a straight truck can go places that a tractor trailer cannot go. but do tractors spend as much time waiting as a straight truck?

You must have IE 7 or below. We have temporarily disabled it because of the browser issues. In the meantime - please update your browser or download Firefox or Chrome.

rikd57

Seasoned Expediter
The company that I work for rarely has T/T's that are sitting, except for breaks. They are usually pre-dispatched. For that matter, our straight trucks hardly ever sit.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Tractors are rare in the expediting industry, because often times there's not enough freight to fill them. Expedite co.'s can easily fill a cargo van and half of a straight truck or part of a straight truck. it's mistakes on orders that are being filled, forgotten or badly needed freight, or extra freight that was not originally planned on. The difference primarily that I've seen is they're pulling very light loads, it's not unusual at all for a 53' trailer to have a quarter of a load on... or less. Teams are preferred, because they can find them more loads and run them further and faster and easier. Solo's not so much. Tractors are not utilized much in expediting simply because the space in that 53' wagon is really not needed all that much... where as the space in a cargo van/sprinter/cube/box van is utilized very well- as is the space in a straight truck. A straight truck is often more space than what is needed- but it's not too much more space.

Tractors don't sit that much because co.'s like to keep them moving to keep their options open with them and their capacity.

BBB