To get a CDL without going to school

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I was a big truck driver and I let my class A cdl go. Now I want to go expediter I first wanted to use a sprinter but now I want to go with a straight truck. I need a class b CDL. How to do it without going to school. Thanks from Linda and Micheal Black

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Rent a class B truck and have a friend with a B or higher train you so you can take the road test. Other than that it will likely be a school, since you lack recent experience it might be required unless you team up with an experienced driver.

str8trk

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was a big truck driver and I let my class A cdl go. Now I want to go expediter I first wanted to use a sprinter but now I want to go with a straight truck. I need a class b CDL. How to do it without going to school. Thanks from Linda and Micheal Black

If you had your A, then why not just renew your A ? Either way, as long as you can pass the knowledge and skills tests you're good to go. If you have a school in your area, you might want to check with them to see if they offer a refresher course. When your setting up for your road test, make sure you have a truck with air-brakes and a manual transmission. Otherwise, the DOT will issue your license with restrictions.

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I did had them, I could not get enough money at one time to get a renewal. I was lucky to save it up but when I needed to do it my lady got sick and I took that money so she could go to the doctor. Jobs in my town have been hard to come by and you don't have someone to help get in the door you are out. Thanks for the info you are right to take the written is not the problem. Next year I will go with the school system to drive the school they teach to get your cdl. I hope soon to be out there again maybe then things on the road will be better. Thanks from Linda Gambrell and Micheal Black...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't know what state your in, some states have a program where the state unemployment office pays for the school to help you get a job. S Carolina has this with the WIA program. You might qualify for this as a refresher course which requires 150 hrs for a class A. Might check it out.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I did had them, I could not get enough money at one time to get a renewal. I was lucky to save it up but when I needed to do it my lady got sick and I took that money so she could go to the doctor. Jobs in my town have been hard to come by and you don't have someone to help get in the door you are out. Thanks for the info you are right to take the written is not the problem. Next year I will go with the school system to drive the school they teach to get your cdl. I hope soon to be out there again maybe then things on the road will be better. Thanks from Linda Gambrell and Micheal Black...

How long has it been since you had them? Some states (Tennessee) will let you renew up to 5 years later with a valid med card. It would be much cheaper than renting a truck for test. I know my license is $26 to renew in Missouri. Maybe check in to that.

mbc383

Expert Expediter
I had them in 2010 with the one grace put it at 2011 I went with the class C on my birthday will be two years. I will go to North Carolina employment office to check in about it. Linda is doing better these days so I will go for it . Thanks From Linda and Micheal Black

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since when is school required to get a CDL except for the defensive driving class?
If you need to bone up on a strait truck find work with a local delivery company that dose skid work and rent a non CDL unit under 26000# with air brakes. This will pay for the truck, put coin in your pocket, and you bone up on your S/T skills and dont need a CDL driver untill youre road test. They are the same animal only diference is a sticker from the upfitter.

Bob Wolf.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We rented a truck from Penske for my wife to take her CDL cost almost 300 though. I already had my CDL to rent the truck. Good luck

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Since when is school required to get a CDL except for the defensive driving class?
If you need to bone up on a strait truck find work with a local delivery company that dose skid work and rent a non CDL unit under 26000# with air brakes. This will pay for the truck, put coin in your pocket, and you bone up on your S/T skills and dont need a CDL driver untill youre road test. They are the same animal only diference is a sticker from the upfitter.

Bob Wolf.

That's a good idea but the DMV in most states require a CDL vehicle to test in. SC requires testing in type vehicle your using. Such as TT or 33k straight etc.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
P goose, Youre right For the road test you need a CDL holder and test on the correct vehicle type and GVW. But for getting the hang of how a S/T handles and behaves, a non CDL is an option because mechanicaly, spec, and wise thier the same truck.

Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Other things to think of. If you are not able to re-instate your CDL, will prospective employers require you to go thru a school or if on your own will your insurance require the diploma in order to cover you.