TMC Transport

noneya

Active Expediter
I see that they are seeking to hire inexperienced drivers to train them. Since expediting has left a bad taste in my mouth, I am thinking about upgrading my class b license to a class a so I can start driving the 18 wheelers. Has anyone had a good experience with tmc and is tmc a good company to work for? Do they keep their drivers busy? Give me your horror stories too.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Micromanage company drivers otherwise good company. Definitely the nicest company trucks on the road. 13 speed Pete's.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was there in 97. Lots of Looong days. Hopefully that had changed.
Nice equipment.
If you pull across the company fuel island, and you have that Mc Donalds bag from lunch on the floor, it'll cost you a minor pay decrease.
I wouldn't send someone there to learn to drive, as flatbedding is very unforgiving. Easy to get hurt.
They do have an excellent training program.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The one issue with a typical flatbed company is tarpping, it is time consuming and you get paid very little for it. There might be some other companies out there for vans to consider first and then switch to a flatbed company later so you can go with one that requires driving experience. If you can get on one of the boat fleets it is a pretty nice job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

noneya

Active Expediter
The one issue with a typical flatbed company is tarpping, it is time consuming and you get paid very little for it. There might be some other companies out there for vans to consider first and then switch to a flatbed company later so you can go with one that requires driving experience. If you can get on one of the boat fleets it is a pretty nice job.

Thanks for the advice. Does a good boat fleet company come to mind?

noneya

Active Expediter
I was there in 97. Lots of Looong days. Hopefully that had changed.
Nice equipment.
If you pull across the company fuel island, and you have that Mc Donalds bag from lunch on the floor, it'll cost you a minor pay decrease.
I wouldn't send someone there to learn to drive, as flatbedding is very unforgiving. Easy to get hurt.
They do have an excellent training program.

Wow! It sounds like tmc doesn't play the radio. They actually pay people to spy out micky ds paper bags@ fuel pumps?!?:confused::what:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
When I was there, at the terminal, you pulled up to pumps. They fueled truck and parked it.
If you had trash on the floor they reported you. They told us to make our beds daily and sweep behind the seats.

I was an oo so I didn't get involved in all that.

noneya

Active Expediter
When I was there, at the terminal, you pulled up to pumps. They fueled truck and parked it.
If you had trash on the floor they reported you. They told us to make our beds daily and sweep behind the seats.

I was an oo so I didn't get involved in all that.

It sounds like they babysit their drivers:thumzbdown:. Telling grown people to pick up trash from the floor and make up their beds daily, that is common sense and I would get offended if they told me to do something that I do on my own. Oh I forget that some people like living in filth and need someone else to tell them to straighten up their living space...smh

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I would also suggest you check out Maverick. Depending on where you live, they may be a good choice also. Flatbed work is tough work, but I prefer that over dealing with dock workers, grocery warehouses and empty dry vans in high winds. Have you ever seen a flatbed tipped over by the wind? The pay is usually a bit better also for flatbeds (because you earn it..lol). Good luck with your research.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the advice. Does a good boat fleet company come to mind?

There are a few bigger companies like TMC, Werner, and US Xpress might still be involved.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I see Werner all the time pulling bass tracker and ranger boats out of Arkansas. I couldn't tell you how to get in that division but it is going to require get experience through Werner pulling van and that in itself will be harder than doing the job.

As rocketman said maverick is ranked high on the training companies and they have flatbed,heavy haul and reefer vans.

moose

Veteran Expediter
set up realistic goals, and make your way to achieve them.
ask your self this: where would you like to be 3 years from now?
what are you realistic willing to do to get there?

now here are some pointers.
if you are planing of staying with the same carrier, then understand that MOST start-out carriers do not cater for experience drivers. there for look for a carrier that have good safety records, good training programs, and you can overlook the turnover rate. check their CSA score, look into their violation, and KEEP your record clean.
the first 2 years in trucking are taxes paid to earn the opportunity to make more.
as for TMC, from what i spoke to some of their drivers @ PU/Del locations, it seams they electronically watch every move you make. they also have a vast verity of bonus programs. and can offer dedicated shippers, regional or dedicated.
i also herd good things about Raul Transportation {or whatever they spelled}, ATS, Combined transport, and as stated Maverick, but it will depend on where you live.
once you have big truck experience, most Flatbed carrier will take you, even if your experience is not flatbed.