Tires?

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
The truck I just purchased has me wondering about the rear tires. All 6 tires match. By match I mean the tread is the same. They look like Steer tires. No cross cut of any kind. They are all like new. Will this cause a problem when the snow starts flying? Am I looking at replacing the rear tires?...Butch :) :) :)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Depends upon how much snow you are looking at. I ran the same tires on my old FL 70,they were the same for the steers and drives and had no problems. Some companies watch the wear and will buy new steers and use the old ones as drives until they wear out.

But of course when the snow came I went. LOL

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Thanks Rich, I will see how they work. Most of the roads are salted anyhow. But it's the Shippers and Consignee's out in the Boonies,I'm worried about..LOL... Also this truck is an Automatic,which I'm not used to, and don't know how it will do in winter.....Butch :) :) :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Glen Rice ran ribbed tires (steer-type, not lugged treads) on his straight truck and said they provided a noticible decrease in road noise as he drove. Rolling resistance of ribs is less than luggs also, thereby providing a slight fuel economy advantage. Snow was not a problem for Glen because he also equipped his truck with automatic tire chains that got him out of a bind with a push of a button if the ribs were not up to the task in snow.

Some state tire-chain laws contemplate the difference between lugs and ribs. In some conditions, tire chains would be required on rib tires but lugged tires (what the states call snow tires) would be allowed to pass.