tires and wheels come off

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
True story, on my sons 18 wheeler, rr wheels and tires gone from off the trailer. They came off while rolling down the interstate and off into the woods, yes he was in the slow lane.

How does this happen unless all 10 bolts back out,,seems impossible imho...he says did not notice any smoke,no virbration, nothing and I know he checks his mirrors,must have happened fast...........

Anyone had this happen??

paullud

Veteran Expediter
He probably blew a wheel seal and the bearings seized up then sheared the studs off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you lose the bearing, you lose the wheel assembly as a whole..

Generally a poor maintenance issue.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If you lose the bearing, you lose the wheel assembly as a whole..

Generally a poor maintenance issue.

I wasn't sure if he lost the whole hub or not but typically when tires separate it's a wheel bearing issue. I guess a mechanic could have gotten aggressive and over torqued the lug nuts which stretched the studs out.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
using used tires and new wheels, brakes and so on,,the bill will be about 2 grand for now, unless something pops up

rearhub.jpghub where wheels and tires used to be.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I saw a guy lose a steer tire/wheel.
He passed me and was moving over in front of me.
When the weight came off the wheel it went airborne about 50 almost straight up and then into a field.
He was able to get to the shoulder.

When wheels come off and nobody gets hurt, you've got to feel lucky.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I saw a guy lose a steer tire/wheel.
He passed me and was moving over in front of me.
When the weight came off the wheel it went airborne about 50 almost straight up and then into a field.
He was able to get to the shoulder.

When wheels come off and nobody gets hurt, you've got to feel lucky.

Unfortunately for this guy he suffered some bad injuries when a driver lost his tires. If I remember correctly his pelvis was broken and at least one leg asking other injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF-0RcGDaCw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Ok, well this is one area I'm not real knowledgeable on. All I really know is to watch the hubs for leaks and that's pretty much it. Is there more I can do as far as preventative maint on them? I drive a t-660 straight truck.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have lug nut indacater's on all axel's. One can tell real easy during pretrip if a lug nut has moved. Heavy oil field truck's on rough road's. Cheap and easy, I like them.