tire pressure

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
i put two new steers on...Goodyear G395 LHS...they told me to keep 110# in them...isnt this too much???

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
The actual cold pressure will depend on the axle rating and the tire rating. When doing PM Inspections, in my technician incarnation, I would always check the axle rating sticker on the door jamb of the truck to see what the recommended pressure requirement was for that specific unit. Check for the sticker on your truck and set the tire pressures accordingly. The sticker is usually yellow in color and has the name of the "Completed Vehicle" builder (usually the Co. that installed the freight body) on it.

There are also pressure/load ratings molded into the sidewall of the tires that show load capability at XXXpsi in either single or dual application, check out the fine print located near the edge of the rim.

Rex

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Without knowing tire size and load rating I would only be quessing. You're probably in the ballpark. How heavy do you run your front axle? This is not rocket science, however don't quess on your safety.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A small fleet owner told me that he liked to keep his steers at about 90psi. He said that the ride was better. I followed his advice, did not keep a close eye on the pressure and had the good fortune to spend $600 for two new tires a lot sooner than I should have.

The pressure should be approx. 110 lbs. and you need to check it regularily - just like the oil. Or set $600 aside for new steers.

Drive Safe

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I set my Goodrich ST234's to 100 PSI cold. This is class 8 chassis with steer axle close to maxed out most of the time. Good ride, and last set lasted 120k, probably would have gone more if I rotated them more regularly.
-Weave-

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
FJK i am also running the goodyear G395 LHS, i have been keeping them at 100 psi.66,0000 miles on them so far and they are looking great.DD.