Tire cupping

Ilovechrome

Expert Expediter
I would like to know if the wheel balancer's really work? I have been dealing with the cupping problem for years on the front tires. I am about to buy a new set of steers and want to know if the balancers are worth it. And yes I know Michelin is the worst for that prob....Im not buying them dont worry. thnx:)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I have never tried the wheel balancers that mount on your rim but we used the little packet of lead that they put inside your tire when they mount it and it seemed to work very well.

One thing to try is have your truck on a 4 wheel lazer type alignment. I had an owner who did that it discovered that his back axle was mounted 1/2 off of square, that is what was causeing his cupping. Hope this helps.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
a lot of times the cupping is caused by bad or worn shocks
and the tire is just bouncing off the pavement. I also agree with Wild Bill. I had a problem with a left front tire (Michelin) where it was wearing diagonaly all around the tire. took the truck in to have it aligned and the mechanic said it looked like the belts separated.
said the front end wasn't that much out of alignment,but i also had him do a rear thrust alignment. the tire only had about 30,000 on it took it back to the tire dealer,and had it replaced.of course he was saying it wasn't belts separating. said he would have the michelin rep. look at it. well guess he decided they still wanted our business because we were never charged for the new replacement. i myself like the michelin tires have new all the way around and with the new thrust alignment haven't seen any signs of abnormal wear.
as far as trucks go my FL-70 ridin like a cadillac.

Good Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I installed centramatic balancers on my FL70 in '99, they did not help with the cupping. What did was new shocks once a year, a Beeline computer alignment once a year, and BF Goodrich ST234 steers. Something in that combination worked.
-Weave-

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is a good article in the May 2002 issue of Land Line. (

For new drivers, this is published by OOIDA and you should look at the benefits of membership.)

The suggestion of putting golf balls in the tires is an old trick that I have heard others swear works well.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Mike, My codriver says a tire guy told him to run 100 psi in the steer tires. because with the increased speeds we can run nowadays puts more down pressure on the steer tires, which with the old tire prssure would flatten them out more. that is what causes the cupping.

Try this, it is a cheap way to experiment.