Three axle Rig

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Wow, you guys don't need a moderator! You need a sparring partner.. Opinions are like dispatchers, everyone has one! Come on guys and girls, keep it light. I had a friend who was going to put together a Prevost Coach that was retired and turn it into a "C" unit! How wild would that be! Different strokes for different folks..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You know me, I like the big sleepers ect. I would like to see it.

bigjimhp

Expert Expediter
I run intl 9200 with m-11, I get 9.8 miles at 65/70 with 10,000 or less. I wouldn't have anything, but this set-up. At least once a week I haul 18-24,000 lbs, for me the extra pay is worth it, fuel drops to about 8.2, 65/70. The comfort of having a real truck, with a sleeper, not a add on tin can makes a big difference. Bentz makes intl sleepers.. Tires rears 320,000 on last set of 8 mich, steers 220,000 I use centramatic, and run all position tires. The ability to haul heavy, in bad areas, is worth it. Even leaving home, visteon textile rd, always has a heavy 20+, 8 pc load ready for shipment, on sat. delivering Monday, with holdover included. One run can put me three days ahead of the average legally logging class 7 truck. It depends on your company, some offer the high rate, but compare holdover(detroit native), wt factor,deadhead pay, you can come away smelling like roses, regularly. BTW a class 7 truck, can cost as much as a 8 truck, used which one would make a better truck???? If you are just starting out, buy a cheap used truck with a cummings,drive it for a minute, then decide , if you want the note. I agree with the A-team, being a finance major, I can make the best(profit) out of a losing situation, Because of my constant awareness of the overall bottom line, and existing cash cows. Ex. 97 fl-70, leased to my buddy for a flat weekly fee. Ex-Werner/JB driver, after first settlement, took me out for dinner, couldn't believe he made 1700 in a week and was at home Friday night!!!! LOL

Tony

Expert Expediter
That's my point, do you want to run empty to a good load area or with a little in your pocket. What works for you might not work for me. I am not knocking the 144" sleeper(or bigger), when my son is on his own my wife will make the team complete and we will have a White Tiger truck, till then I must do what what works GOOD for me. It all depends on your company, times do change the operations.

Stand up for what you believe in, don't do something just because everyone else is!

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
JUST THOUGHT I'D THROW MY TWO CENTS WORTH IN. I THINK CLASS 8 VERSES CLASS 7. ARE REALLY A MATTER OF PREFERENCE & WHAT YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION DICTATES. I STARTED OUT WITH CLASS 7 AND NOW HAVE A CLASS 8 TANDEM AXLE. AND PERSONALLY YOU COULD NOT GET ME TO GO BACK. IS IT REALLY MORE EXPENSIVE? I THINK NOT. I PAID MORE FOR THE CLASS 7 TRUCK I HAD THAN I DID THE CLASS 8. THERE ARE ALOT OF GOOD BUYS OUT THERE ON CLASS 8 TRUCKS. BOUGHT MY TRUCK AS A REPO WITH 57,000 MILES ON IT. I CURRENTLY HAVE 750,000 ON IT AND STILL GOING STRONG. NEVER HAD ANY MAJOR REPAIRS. JUST THREW ROD,MAIN,CAM BEARINGS IN JUST AS A INSURANCE POLICY. THE CLASS 7 I HAD WAS ABOUT DEAD IN THE WATER AT 350,000 MILES. I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT ENGINES IN CLASS 7 TRUCKS AS WELL AS TRANSMISSIONS. FROM A MAINTENANCE STAND POINT I THINK CLASS 8 WILL GET YOU ALOT MORE MILES. AS FAR AS THE RIDE GOES. NO COMPARISON. I HAVE A FLD132 CLASSIC AND IT RIDES LIKE A DREAM. IT GOES GREAT IN THE SNOW SINCE I CAN LOCK IN THE POWER DIVIDER FOR EXTRA TRACTION. IN THE HORSEPOWER ARENA, CAN'T BEAT IT. I CAN PULL JUST ABOUT ANY GRADE IN TOP GEAR WITH 22K IN THE BOX. AS FAR AS FUEL MILEAGE GET CONSISTENT 8.5 MPG NO MATTER HOW MUCH WEIGHT I HAUL. TRUCK WILL RUN TRIPLE DIGITS,NOT THAT I HAVE A NEED FOR THAT. JUST POINTING OUT IT CAN GET THE JOB DONE. REALLY CUTS DOWN OVERALL TRIP TIMES NOT GET BOGGED DOWN ON THE HILLS. A LITTLE MORE COSTS IN TOLLS. REALLY NOT ANYMORE EXPENSIVE TO OPERATE. I HAVE A LIFTGATE AND A GENERATOR AND THE ADDED WEIGHT HAS NOT KILLED MY PAYLOAD. IN MY PARTICULAR SITUATION. I HAUL ALOT OF HEAVIER LOADS SO THE EXTRA AXLE PAYS FOR ME. I AM ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT ADDING A PUSHER AND MAKING IT A TRI-AXLE. BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG. I AM NOT KNOCKING CLASS 7 TRUCKS. THERE ARE ALOT OF GREAT CLASS 7 TRUCKS OUT THERE. THE KEY THERE IS, SPECING THE RIGHT TRUCK WITH RIGHT COMPONENTS AND IT WILL LAST AND DO A GREAT JOB. BUT FROM A COSTS STAND POINT. YOU CAN SPEND JUST AS MUCH IN A CLASS 7 AS A CLASS 8. ITS REALLY ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT AND NEED TO GET THE JOB DONE FOR YOU. AFTER ALL CHROME DON'T GET YOU HOME.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I appreciate all the input, as I have long considered all the issues of loads vs. costs, comfort, and durability. I think the issue of comfort is a bit overblown in the above conversation... unless you just like to stay out all the time. I like getting home once every two weeks, and expediting will always provide that where I live.
If one is paying all that money for FET and the loan, a decent baby-8 or built up class 7 with a pusher axle, if and WHEN justified, seems just fine. If you cant take the freight due to state regs, I guess you have to turn it down to be safe.
I am ordering a new Pete 335 chassis, with a used Unibilt sleeper and my current box, which will be set up on air suspension just like a tractor. I prefer a 63" sleeper and a 24' box- sleepers don't make $$. I have spec'd the truck with a 9 speed O.D. to haul the occasional heavy freight when I ever decide to add the pusher Ahead of the drive for weight distribution. New Cummins 8.3 315 should do the job fine with 4.11 RA and final drive of 3.0.
Same argument applies to liftgate- I would suggest finding decent used equipment. How many times will you actually use it?

Different strokes for different folks!;-)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You should have good luck with the 335. It also sounds like you have it speced correctly. You should have pretty decent fuel milage with that setup. We have a 6 speed OD and get 10 mpg. Your setup should beat that.