Thinking of Purchasing a Straight truck and going Solo. Have experience in Expediting but was wondering what others thoughts were on this?

danm9119

New Recruit
Driver
I am currently pondering purchasing a slightly used Straight Truck 2019-2020 freightliner with 100" Sleeper. Would be doing this as a solo driver and I do have experience. Purchase would be cash for the truck and would prob lease onto Bolt or Panther just not sure as of yet. I am not trying to get rich just get back out on the road and make a couple dollars. What do you guys think? I was also considering a Sprinter van but tight spaces etc arent for me lol.. Thanks for any valuable imput yall may have.

Reactions: danthewolf00

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I am currently pondering purchasing a slightly used Straight Truck 2019-2020 freightliner with 100" Sleeper. Would be doing this as a solo driver and I do have experience. Purchase would be cash for the truck and would prob lease onto Bolt or Panther just not sure as of yet. I am not trying to get rich just get back out on the road and make a couple dollars. What do you guys think? I was also considering a Sprinter van but tight spaces etc arent for me lol.. Thanks for any valuable imput yall may have.
Have you thought about expeditis out of sylvania, ohio?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you asking about running solo or about those 2 carriers? Or are you asking about difference between straight truck or van?

Running solo - many have done/are doing it successfully and many have failed.

There are more than those two carriers to choose from. Choose carefully. The wrong carrier can break you.

A straight truck will generally have more load opportunities than a van, but subject to more regulations. If you only want to make a "few dollars", get a van. If you want a few more, go with the straight truck.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is this a CDL truck or is is under? I ask because if it is a CDL truck and if its only a 2 axle truck, then the weight you will be able to carry is pretty low, like 5 or 6 thousand pounds.

Also when it comes to maintenance and repairs, can you do some yourself or will you have to pay for someone to do it? The more you can do on your own the better off you will be.