Thinking of getting into the business

Rmorales78

New Recruit
Researching
Hello everyone,

Since this is my first post, I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Ricardo, and I live in Ontario, Canada. This site caught my attention because I was thinking of changing my line of work, and someone suggested I look into this since I love to drive.

I was thinking of driving a cargo van/Sprinter, since I don't need any extra licenses (at least not here), and I was told it would be a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak. After doing some research, however, I am seeing a lot of information that makes me wonder. There are several companies that are recruiting Owner/Operators that claim to assist you in securing financing for a vehicle, and will get you long term contracts. They also claim that one can make $10k a month, and that some of their top drivers are making as much as $16k (their cargo van drivers; I asked. Their straight truck drivers make more). Is this feasible, or is it just a bunch of bs? I do have a job that I love that pays relatively well, but the money just isn't quite enough to pay the bills and support my family. I would love to hear from people that do this for a living. Anything you can tell me (income/expenses, time away from home, etc) would be greatly appreciated. I think this is something I could enjoy, but I want to make sure it would be worthwhile before I make any decisions.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone,

Since this is my first post, I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Ricardo, and I live in Ontario, Canada. This site caught my attention because I was thinking of changing my line of work, and someone suggested I look into this since I love to drive.

I was thinking of driving a cargo van/Sprinter, since I don't need any extra licenses (at least not here), and I was told it would be a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak. After doing some research, however, I am seeing a lot of information that makes me wonder. There are several companies that are recruiting Owner/Operators that claim to assist you in securing financing for a vehicle, and will get you long term contracts. They also claim that one can make $10k a month, and that some of their top drivers are making as much as $16k (their cargo van drivers; I asked. Their straight truck drivers make more). Is this feasible, or is it just a bunch of bs? I do have a job that I love that pays relatively well, but the money just isn't quite enough to pay the bills and support my family. I would love to hear from people that do this for a living. Anything you can tell me (income/expenses, time away from home, etc) would be greatly appreciated. I think this is something I could enjoy, but I want to make sure it would be worthwhile before I make any decisions.
BS. The rates are way down. Barely enough to just get by. Yes the money may be there but one must remember that for every dollar one generates about half goes to operating your business and living on the road. Also there is waiting for thar next load. Sometimes you may get one that day you drop or you may wait one, two or more day waiting for that next load. The worst part about doing this waiting for the next load and the rates that you run for. Hope this helps.

Rmorales78

New Recruit
Researching
BS. The rates are way down. Barely enough to just get by. Yes the money may be there but one must remember that for every dollar one generates about half goes to operating your business and living on the road. Also there is waiting for thar next load. Sometimes you may get one that day you drop or you may wait one, two or more day waiting for that next load. The worst part about doing this waiting for the next load and the rates that you run for. Hope this helps.
It does help, thank you. So those rates are BS then? You cannot make 10-14k a month with a cargo/Sprinter van? It does seem a bit out therr, but even if half of thst money went to expenses, it's still slightly more than I make now ...

What would be a more realistic number?

Thanks again for your help.

Rmorales78

New Recruit
Researching
I should also point out that those numbers I was quoted are in Canadian dollars (so roughly aboit 8-10k USD).