Thinking of driving

stillearning

Expert Expediter
My wife and I are in our early 50's and are thinking of going into expedite driving. We would drive someone else's truck, at least initially. We both have CDL-B licenses with no air brake restrictions and passenger endorsements. My wife has been driving school bus since 1991. I drove school bus for one year back in 1993 but have not driven professionally since. We both have clean licenses with no points.

Would we be able to drive as a team, even though I haven't driven professionally for some time? Also, we are currently located near Lansing, MI but are considering moving to either the Kansas City or Dallas area as we have family in both locations. Which city would be best to be based out of: Lansing, MI, Kansas City, or Dallas? Thanks for any replies.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Stillearning,
Husband and wife teams are ideal in this industry. As long as you and your wife both have class b cdl's, there is a company out there that can lease you on. Whether you have no experience, recent experience or are newly cdl holders, some of the expediting companies will be able to put you to work.

The best thing to do is to go to the Free Classified section on this site and contact some of the fleet owners that have openings in some of their vehicles. They should know the companies policies and procedures for new hires. Just be up front with the potential fleet owner and that should eliminate any confusion later on.

As far as location as to which you would be domiciled out of, Michigan is usually the best in this industry. However, some companies to a lot of miles through Dallas and KC. What it comes down to, is if you plan on being out on the road 3-4 weeks at a time, it really doesn't matter where you are based out of.

Hope this helps,

ABC