Thinking about it

Shawn&Angie

New Recruit
Driver
I am an experienced 25 yr class A with all the endorsements etc. I mainly do gas, diesel and propane. I usually gross about $100k a year and just got a brand new 2021 Peterbilt 379 flat top. Home every night. 60-70 hrs week.
My wife is a nursing home administrator..very stressful. Long hours. Salary of $70k plus great benefits. We still have a couple kids at home commuting to college.
We are wanting to get out of the rat race and become expedites. Are we crazy? We want to see the country again.
Plan is to get my wife’s Class B with all the endorsements..try to work for a small fleet and does Custom Critical. Transition to owning our own truck...then a couple of 3 trucks. We are the hardest working people we know...is this doable? What can we expect to make 1st year with a small fleet owner (40%)
We know we need to pay our dues. Any advice? Thanks!!

logisticsandexpedite

Not a Member
Recruiter
First, if making that same kind of money between the two of you and then both of you going on the road together, that may not be possible. But, as you build, bring on some owner operators that already own their trucks and are seeking to be treated fairly, honestly and with respect then it is very possible. BTW, seeing the country maybe possible as well, but some of that depending on how you run, will be done at night. Best wishes.

hossfly2

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
First, if making that same kind of money between the two of you and then both of you going on the road together, that may not be possible. But, as you build, bring on some owner operators that already own their trucks and are seeking to be treated fairly, honestly and with respect then it is very possible. BTW, seeing the country maybe possible as well, but some of that depending on how you run, will be done at night. Best wishes.

Reactions: Shawn&Angie

Shawn&Angie

New Recruit
Driver
We make very good money true, but are burning out...we are pretty much out of debt except our house payment. Even thinking of selling house and buying something small for cash. We think we would have tremendous opportunity in this business..just want all the info we can get

Reactions: Ragman

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am an experienced 25 yr class A with all the endorsements etc. I mainly do gas, diesel and propane. I usually gross about $100k a year and just got a brand new 2021 Peterbilt 379 flat top. Home every night. 60-70 hrs week.
My wife is a nursing home administrator..very stressful. Long hours. Salary of $70k plus great benefits. We still have a couple kids at home commuting to college.
We are wanting to get out of the rat race and become expedites. Are we crazy? We want to see the country again.
Plan is to get my wife’s Class B with all the endorsements..try to work for a small fleet and does Custom Critical. Transition to owning our own truck...then a couple of 3 trucks. We are the hardest working people we know...is this doable? What can we expect to make 1st year with a small fleet owner (40%)
We know we need to pay our dues. Any advice? Thanks!!
Expedite is a different world than traditional over the road, regional, or local driving. Teams do typically do better in straight trucks. But there are still some drawbacks most of which come from expediting in general. You are saying you want to get out of the rat race... But in reality you're just going from one rat race to another.

Most expedite is done at night so good luck with sight seeing...you need to be willing to be out for at least 2 to 3 weeks at a time....during the slow time your rates are going to be crap as any company you sign on with is most likely going to getting you anything they can..... So at the very least you should expect to take a pay cut from what you're making now.

Sounds like with 25 years of driving, your best bet is to make your money while you can and retire. Then whenever you have good cash flow... Enjoy sightseeing around the country on your own time. Even then you're able to get a straight truck and just run at your leisure.