Thinking about hiring a co-driver

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am considering hiring a co-driver to replace my wife who was my co-driver for the last six years. She is going to stay home and be a full time grandma now.

I need advice on what to look for in a possible co-driver.
What kind of contract will I need?
What should I pay? (I was planning on offering 20% of the gross after deducting FSC and tolls with no out of pocket expense)
How do I work home time if he doesn't live near me?
And I am sure lots of other things I haven't thought of yet.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You would need someone close enough to drop off and pu after hometime. Or close enough to commute to your place.
Some one you can put up with and can put up with you.
Good Luck.
The worst thing is you may not want hometome when he does, and vice versa.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I am considering hiring a co-driver to replace my wife . . .

I came up with about 10 different responses to that statement but decided I better leave it alone.

If you are seriously considering taking on a co-driver then I just have one word of advice: Reconsider :)

IMHO, living in a closet with some strange dude is a prescription for headaches.
Driving solo, doing what you want to do whenever you want to do it: Priceless

And I am sure lots of other things I haven't thought of yet.

And yet many others you would never have thought about until they happen. :cool:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The solo idea is good. Probably not where he lives.
I ran team at Roadway. Had a great partner. We both enjoyed it.
It just may take a couple of drivers before he finds the right fit.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am worried about putting my life and truck in the hands of a stranger.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I know a guy came out of the bunk, in the 70's to find the driver smoking a joint, with a can of beer in the cup holder.

He was very upset.

Knowing this guy for years, he was probably upset that the guy wasn't sharing.

Disclaimer: I do not condone such activities.

Luckily, because of the job market in Fla you may have a large pool to choose from.
Interview extensively, and be ready to cut a guy loose if he's not a good fit.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Hold out, run solo and maybe the ATeam will want to come back on the road after a year LOL

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I would look at what amount that 20% could be, based on the last year's income to the the truck. And then ask yourself if you could live on that. You are probably spoiled rotten by Shayne, and to replace her will be very tough. You would have shared expenses on the road with a co-driver as well, and like someone said, their hometime requirement might have to be within 100-200 miles of Lake City. But there must be some off time that you are NOT always in each other's space in time. If you hire a codriver without a home, will your ranch become his home too? If he needs money to pay a bill, will he lopk to you for an advance. Watch Hardcore Pawn over and over, Les Gold has some incredible communication skills.
Best wishes to you and yours, I know you will miss her. Kat

jamesj

Rookie Expediter
Hey Jim I was doing research online about driving jobs and found your post. I am James your neighbor I would be interested to talk to you about co-driving with you. I already have my cdl and I'm ready to go.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
James. I sent you a PM with my phone number.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app