The Super B Project is done!

Aviator

Expert Expediter
Well thanks to all the replys here, the "Super B" truck is done and on the road.

I got a 15' Ford cube van with a V10 (would have preferred a deisel, but they are hard to find right now). We took about 6' of the box, and made it into a sleeper, leaving 9' for cargo. The sleeper has nice carpet on the floor, indoor outdoor carpet on the walls, numerous lights, several 12 volt outlets, a closet, a 12 volt fridge, good bed with a 35"x75" mattress custom made locally, and a fold down desk. The sleeper was framed with 2x4s and insulated all around. If its in the 30s, I don't even have to run the heater. We installed 2 deep cycle batteries and a bettery isolator, so I can run the deep cycles down and have no problems starting. There is a 1500 watt inverter, and a 110 electric heater with a thermostat for those colder nights.

In general I am pleased with the outcome. while building the sleeper, we built into it a XM radio antenna, and a wifi antenna that comes out at the desk.

Majority of the loads carried so far are C loads, so it is paying off that we went with the cube van and not a normal cargo van.

I'll add some photos below. the outside of the truck, some views of the sleeper, the sleeper door, insulation, and a shot of one of the loads we have carried. The picture of the closet end of the bed was a bunch of pics "stiched" together, the colors don't match, but you get the idea.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Aviator, your super B van is too cool, and you can carry C loads too, how sweet it is!!! DD

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting!!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sweet! I like that heavy duty Supreme box. Might I ask ,just for reference purposes, what your GVW is on your truck? That sleeper in the box looks quite comfy!
-Weave-

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Aviator,

I LOVE it! Way too cool... just shows what can be done with some basic materials and a lot of imagination. Looks like it ought to be comfortable and practical. I like the way you put the desk in too... (that screenshot of EO outta be worth some bonus points..LOL)

As Weave said, I am curious what the gross weight of that ended up being? Are you gonna get away with not running a log? If so... even sweeter! I do see an ICC 'resembling' bumper tho.. how high is the back of that off the ground?

Best of luck with it, and thanks for sharing.

Dreamer

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Aviator,

Thanks for the post. Ok, I loved the picture of the sleeper with EO on your laptop - too cool, Thanks!!!!
:7 :7 :7 :7

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
>I got a 15' Ford cube van with a V10 (would have preferred a
>deisel, but they are hard to find right now). We took about
>6' of the box, and made it into a sleeper, leaving 9' for
>cargo.

That is a nice conversion, but a V10 !!!???
Isn't that a little on the thirsty side?
I'm surprised that more owner operators haven't done this.
Looks a lot more comfortable than a B unit.

Aviator

Expert Expediter
GVWR is 11,500, so yesm I have to log. It's a pain in the behind, but has caused no problems with missing/turning down loads yet.

Not too terribly thirsty, I am getting 10-11 MPG depending on wind and speeds I am driving. Am trying to find a "wind shark" for the front of the box, hopefully that will get another mpg or two.

ICC? whats that?

Aviator

Aviator

Expert Expediter
Oh, in case anyone is wondering, the sleeper, and all the junk I loaded under the bed (tools, clothes, food, movies, and etc) added about 800 lbs to the truck. The Cat engine was pushing max GVWR, but it was pretty heavy.

Aviator