The place to learn

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
The place to learn TODAY is at the ExpeditersOnLine University Workshop In Strongsville, Ohio.

Come join us for over 4 hours sharing great industry knowledge.

From 5pm till a little after 9pm at:

Holiday Inn Strongsville
15471 Royalton Road
Strongsville, OH 44136
Phone: 440-783-3011

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let's hope that knowledge includes some honest talk on the state of this industry right now.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
To be honest, I am usually BRUTALLY honest when presenting. It's tough to do when so many of the attendees have their heart set on a cargo van. I think it's when I say "Everybody and their mother that has wanted to get in to Expediting in the past 20 years has went out and bought a cargo van" that hopefully hits home.

We all know that new person can succeed, but many, many uncontrollable factors are involved.

Nurvus

Rookie Expediter
If you're smart and keep your cargo van/sprinter business expenses to a bare minimum, and only need to clear $1500 a month to cover bills... do you think it could still be difficult to succeed? Assuming you're comfortable with the lifestyle...

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I would highly recommend driving for someone first.
Live the lifestyle.
Do real research from the road.
If you like it after 6-12 months, buy your vehicle.
You'll have a better chance of buying the right vehicle.

Last edited:

mikemc

Rookie Expediter
John

When you say cargo van,is that specific or a general term for non-CDL trucks like a box truck? Can a person do better in a box-type vehicle than the cargo van?

Mike

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Mike;

Box or cube vans that have GVW of 10,000 lbs or less are surely a dis-advantage over the typical Sprinter or one ton, 3/4 ton Ford, Chevy or GMC van. That is they are operated legally by weight carrying capacity.

If you purchased a box or cube van with GVW greater than 10,000 - say 14,000 lbs, then you would have the legal weight carrying adavntage over the other vans. Downside - now you have to log because the vehicle exceeds 10,001 GVW and chances are the truck has no legal sleeper.

It's just really hard to have your cake and eat it too with a small cube or box van.

Hope this helps you.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mike;

Box or cube vans that have GVW of 10,000 lbs or less are surely a dis-advantage over the typical Sprinter or one ton, 3/4 ton Ford, Chevy or GMC van. That is they are operated legally by weight carrying capacity.

If you purchased a box or cube van with GVW greater than 10,000 - say 14,000 lbs, then you would have the legal weight carrying adavntage over the other vans. Downside - now you have to log because the vehicle exceeds 10,001 GVW and chances are the truck has no legal sleeper.

It's just really hard to have your cake and eat it too with a small cube or box van.

Hope this helps you.

Mike .....John with this statement kinda touched on a highly discussed topic on here before .....the actual available weight a long & tall sprinter can legally haul.....remember the single tired 2500 sprinter GVW is 8600 lbs......many out here Think its 10,000 lbs.....I just met driver last Thursday evening from a big branded company said he could haul 3800 lbs. Legally .....I just love this mentality. ....he said his Gvw was 10,000 lbs.....and his sprinter was 6200 lbs empty......it about made him cry when I showed him the sticker on the inside of drivers door .....bamm 8600 minus 6200 ....do the math

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Think of it like the Price is Right... closest to 10,001# and Dont go over....mine is 9,990#....GVW

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

mikemc

Rookie Expediter
This helps John.Thank you.

I wasn't sure of the best type of vehicle to purchase if I wanted to do non-Cdl trucking.You have cleared that up for me.Now I just need to find a carrier to put me on

Mike