The love for a good feeling in your expediter......

mbc383

Expert Expediter
Hello:
I read about the apu systems trucker have, I had one in a truck it was havenly. I drove with a West Valley City Carrier you were not payed that much and you were in a truck that you feel whatever it was out side. You could not run the truck and sleep without trying to keep your foot on the pedal. You could do the stupid thing take the brakes off the tracker and hope the trailer brakes hold you. They would tell you if is cold or hot the truck would run. You know that was just a lie it had to be below 18 or over 90 before the computer would let you. I don't care it hot in a truck at 65 with no air or you be fighting with every bug that can smell blood. Now I am going to buy where would i put a apu go in a van. I seen pictures of generators on bumpers. I would not want that then I read about batteries to me lead is not the way to go the cycle life is too short and amp hour rating is too unstable. I wonder have any one use the gel cell batteries with a higher amp hour rating and little better cycle life. What I want to do is to have a RV A/C heater combo but they are power hogs at least 16 amp hours. So if I would use 200 amp hour gel cell batteries that would give me about 9 hour of use pre charge. I need help with this have anyone had this kind of system on sprinter or van. I seen Turtle's sprinter it looked like he used lead. Thanks from Linda and Micheal:cool::eek::rolleyes:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
There are not really any apu systems for vans, otherwise I am sure a lot more of us would have them versus generators, and the various types of air conditioning and heating systems that you see. lf you use the search feature you will find many threada with information about different types of heaters such as Espar and mr. Buddy. If you also search there are numerous threads about what types of batteries that different people use. Again if you perform another search you will read about different gernerator set ups, and another search will give you air conditioning set ups. You're not going to find it all in one thread, but that's why everyone here will tell you to "to do your homework" before making decisions. If I recall, homework wasn't always easy, but everything you are looking for is on this site.

mbc383

Expert Expediter
Hello:

I like to say thanks for your help I have use the internet and found one made by Coleman. Which to me is the best deal with only 16 amp hour drain on my battery pack with a 200 amp hour batteries. I would have about 10 hours a charge. I have to say I am sorry to Turtle I also found out that gel and lead are the same. So I am in the know now. I do love the pictures of you Sprinter Van Turtle. There are better batteries they are lithium ion but those batteries cost about 1000 dollars for a 180 amp hour pack and could start a fire. I went to Walmart and the deep cycle batteries are about 90 each. Thanks from Linda and Micheal :):confused::D

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Remember what you add in weight as far as batteries takes away from weight you can carry.